Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fly wheel removal

Chadster

B) I fought and fought and can't seem to get the fly wheel off my 8 hp briggs... PLEASE help. I'm Pulling my hair out!!! I got the shroud off and the pulleys off the bottom, also the oil pan is off and connecting rod disconnected... Can't find any bolts holding the fly wheel on.. Would like any in put or sketches PLEASE>>> MAYDAY!!! the next step is a bigger hammer... Or a match and a can of gasoline... Thank you, Sincerely , The chadster~

Flywheel puller is the easiest way. If you don't have one, put the nut back on the crankshaft a few turns, and tap with a hammer, key word being "tap". Don't pound on it. If you can pry up on the flywheel, while tapping, it will probably break loose.

Hi, In Briggs school, they do NOT approve knocker pullers etc. The Briggs factory puller is easy to duplicate. Get a piece of 3/4 or 1" by 2" bar stock and cut a piece about 3 or so inches long. Drill a hole in the center large enough to allow it to slip over the threads. Then drill 2 11/32 holes where the 2 tapped holes in the flywheel are. Put the nut on the crankshaft and run it down to 1/8 or so from the flywheel. Next lay the puller on the top of the nut and put 2 long bolts into the 2 holes in the flywheel. Tighten the bolts evenly, a little at a time. This should pull most of even the stubborn ones. Al Eden