Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
B.Ikard

Briggs 16-when was Magnetron added?-SOLVED

B.Ikard
Gents, I'm fact searching and studying the whole Magnetron and flywheel repolarization thing...have a question- Anybody know the year/serial# that the Briggs 16's lost breaker points? From what I can decipher it was after ser 850122 (1985), which is a little later than the rest of the Briggs family. Also there is a diferent coil/armature part number for the pre serial-81080(1981) engines. I'd bet the flywheel reoplarization issue comes into play only on the pre 1981 build engines-can anyone confirm this? The Magnetron kit is only listed for post 81 produced engines- Any knowledge or experiences would be appreciated, Brent

B.Ikard
quote:
Originally posted by RayS

[img]/club2/attach/RayS/mag Copy.jpg[/img]
It should have changed in 1981.
Ray-look closer at the IPL 333A 398811 Armature#8722;Magneto (Breaker Ignition) (Used After Code Date 81073100). 333B 298968 Armature#8722;Magneto (Breaker Ignition) (Used Before Code Date 81080100). Ignition) (Used Before Code Date 81080100). 897 394970 Kit#8722;MAGNETRON Ignition (Used After Code Date 81080100 and Before Code Date 85012200 Brent

Al
Hi, Someplace I have the date code. As I remember, I believe you are correct as I remember it was around 81. If you have doubt, stick a magnetron on it and if it has spark you are home free. If not a trip to Briggs. Al Edem

B.Ikard
Al, I'm trying to save a little legwork and time here:D I worked in the "trade" back when the magnetron systems hit the market-and listened to all the negative coments from "wise" minds about how this would never work and be an expensive part to replace when it failed. Sure has worked well in the last 25 years.... For some reason I am thinking the 326400 family was a lone holdout and kept the breaker points longer than all the other briggs products-mabye lower sales volume (than other engines) in Briggs mind would not justify the flywheel changes needed for proper operation? Anyway I was trying to find rhyme and reason to the IPL date codes. It seems odd some folks can go magnetron on these engines and are pleased without re polarization, while others are very unhappy. Brent

PhanDad
Brent's "bold-ed" text above sure has me confused. I've only bought one new armature-magneto for my Homelite so it was a 333B - a "no-brain-er" - a breaker ignition before 1981. So what would I buy if I need an armature-magneto for the 1988 Briggs I recently acquired? It is BREAKERLESS (no points, only the embossing left on the block). Not an 897, since it's not in the date range. Is the 333A a misprint? Should it read "breakerLESS" ignition? I'm sure there's an easy answer here; the part has to be available.

TimJr
I don't remember the part number, but Briggs makes a polarity indicator tool that you run over the flywheel magnets and it will tell you which flywheel you have. I was involved in a Magnetron swap onto an old B212 years ago, before I knew about the polarity change on the flywheels. The engine ran, but poorly - spark was pretty erratic. Ended up putting points back on it and blaming the Magnetron coil. Now I know better - just needed to ship the flywheel off and have it repolarized. But, basically any engine that has provisions for points, and is still running them, likely has the points style flywheel, and would need to be changed. I would think that the date code is irrelevent on that - shrouds can be easily changed, but the block is what it is (assuming the flywheel belongs with the block age wise). Tim

B.Ikard
Did a little research and solved this mystery: The 398811 armature is "magnetron" equipped-took one out of the box at a friend's shop. So- Everything built since 81073100 is electronic ignition Briggs has a typo in their manual below 333A 398811 Armature#8722;Magneto (Breaker Ignition) (Used After Code Date 81073100). Should read "magnetron" or "breakerless" Thanks for the input, Brent