Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2012 with deck & sickle bar. Worth??

kevindb85

Guy has a 2012 with "big" mower deck and sickle bar mower for sale. Says 100% complete & original. Not running but does turn over. [could be a lot of things] Has been kept inside last 15 years. He want's $600 OBO. Seems way to high for one not running. Is the sickle bar mower worth enough by itself to justify this price?

The nice thing about a seller wanting all the money or too much money is that the tractor will still be for sale 60 seconds from now. I saw a 2012 on craigslist in NH last summer that had the sickle bar, rotary mower, rototiller, dozer blade, grader blade and snow blower for $400. It was apparently gone in 60 seconds. Just recently I was checking on craigslist when a local 7016H with more implements and accessories than I have ever seen came up for $100. One of our members was the fortunate buyer and gets kudos for fast typing skills; it is the fastest typer who gets these deals because at least one guy is wildly typing a reply within seconds of the post appearing on craigslist. To get back on topic: I read that, while sickle bar mowers are one of the most sought after implements, they are typically found in poor condition. If this sickle mower is in excellent condition with original paint and wooden trailing board intact, the tractor has straight, rust free tin and passes a rigorous inspection of the transmission, bgb, steering, etc,the tractor has hydraulic lift of implements in good condition, the engine has compression, the deck has no rust or noisy bearings, I would say yes.

I've seen an Allis "B" with just a deck go for over $1000 on eBay. Was it worth that? To the buyer, yes. I've also seen a "B" go for $100. Again, the auction drew buyers who determined "What's it worth". I'm not afraid to overpay if I want the item, so $600 wouldn't be too much for me to figure out a way to justify. What's it worth to you? Tacey

I want a sickle and all I want to pay is $150 to $200 but I was at an auction a few weeks ago with a running B-112 (burned oil) tractor was kind of hacked but looked ok, inlcuded a 48" deck and the 46" sickle, the sickle did not have the swathboard or divider, and the lift mechanism was not correct but the sickle did operate smoothly. I was willing to go $500, then later sell the tractor for $350-$400 and have the sickle for about what I figured it was worth. To my surprise I didn't even get to bid, started at 500, ended at $1400, there were only 2 bidders and the buyer told me he was willing to go to 2 grand, only because it was the one attachment he didn't have. Once the 2 guys that didn't have one yet actually get one the value of any extras goes down. Just depends on where you are and who is buying at the time. I don't think I'd pay the $600 unless I knew it would be a good runner without an overhaul.

Chris, That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I really am not too hot on buying anything that can't at least start up. Because if not you have no idea what you are getting. I would like to have one with the sickle, but Don't want to buy someone's junk. Limited budgets are no fun!