Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Getting Legacy Cab to fit a Sunstar(1920)

Jason

Hi Well dealer called this morning, said they tried to mount my new cab to my Agco Allis 1920. It's a soft side cab. Dealer said when I ordered it that there would be some modifications but "should fit". Now they tried to put the cab on and have ran into problems. Said it would cost me $1600 Canadian in labor to do the modifications to it which they claim is impossible to do. They recommended I get rid of my 1920 and get a Legacy instead. Problem is, I don't want to get rid of my 1920, & legacys are hard to come by in my area. So I am going to set out and "rebuild" my "Legacy" cab to fit the 1920. Has anyone out there, ordered a new Legacy cab and then modify it to fit a Sunstar? Apparently The Cab that was orginally intended for it is no longer avalible through Simplicity MFG. I have put enough money into this cab, that I am going to make it work. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to modify the Legacy soft side cab to work on a Sunstar. If The modifications don't work, I may sell this cab and see if another distriubuter sells a cab that will fit properly. Take Care Jason B

Hi Jason I have a compatibility chart from my Simplicity dealer in Indiana. It tells you what accessories will swap from Legacy [Agco 2025 } to Sunstar [Deutz Allis 1920 ]. For the 1920 you need part #1692241 [ Which will not fit on the Legacy], for the Legacy you need part #1692926 [Which will not fit on the 1920 or Sunstar].I would try and get your money back. There is a possibly that I can get you a cab for the 1920.How much are you prepared to Invest? Send me an E-mail.

Here is a link to one at a dealer that i buy or bought my parts at. They don`t have a phone because of going out of business but they do have a email address and sold me parts a month ago. Very hard to get a hold of now but it is possible. http://andserv.com/used%20attachments.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Jason
Said it would cost me $1600 Canadian in labor to do the modifications to it which they claim is impossible to do.
Amazing, how $1600.00 can make something that is "impossible to do", all of a sudden possible.sm00 I'd tell them to keep their mis ordered cab. That link Ray gave you is a steal of a price for a cab! If they will ship it to you. If you can't work something out let me know I just might go get it to have as a spare.

I sure hope that you haven't paid any money up front for the cab. I'd be telling the dealer that they ordered the wrong cab. I'd insist that they either refund my money or get me the correct cab. It's one thing when you order a part with the intent of modifying it for another use, but if you told them to order you a cab for a Sunstar or they mis-represented the ability of a Legacy cab to back service your Sunstar, they should refund you your money.

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
I sure hope that you haven't paid any money up front for the cab. I'd be telling the dealer that they ordered the wrong cab. I'd insist that they either refund my money or get me the correct cab. It's one thing when you order a part with the intent of modifying it for another use, but if you told them to order you a cab for a Sunstar or they mis-represented the ability of a Legacy cab to back service your Sunstar, they should refund you your money.
Hi Well, I think we are going to try and modify the cab to work. Dealer does not want it back as They started the modifications. Then I told them to stop after they quoted the Labour. They said they would be stuck with it period. Salesman told me there would be "modifications" to the cab but they said they were minor. They then told me that Simplicity did offer a cab for the Sunstar that fit properly. They told me it was discontinued and ordered the Legacy cab thinking there would be small modifications. Service Manager got smart and told me to get rid of my "Obsolete" 1920 and get a Legacy instead so the cab would fit. He went on rambling about how a lot of SunStar parts have been discontinued and that in a few years I would be "Screwed" if something major went wrong. Very dispointed, I said: "You tell me that my 12 year old 1920, will not be able to get parts any more?" I went on saying that my friend has a 20 year old Deere 165 and he can parts with out a problem, yet my 12 year old 1920 will have difficulty getting parts? He said yeah. So then I say, If I get a Legacy, what are the chances of those parts being discontinued as well as the early Legacys are now nearing 10 years old? He said nothing. Looks like I will be buying Simplicity Parts off ebay now to keep it going. Dealer does not understand why I want to keep a 12 year old mower. I said that is a well built, highly saught after tractor, and has proven to be a tractor worth keeping. I have worked her hard and she has not let me down yet. Might have had the old repair but nothing serious and she is built like a tank. I can kinda see why a lot of people in my area have switched to Kbouta, Deere, or Cub Cadet, if they keep their attitude up about Simplicity. The Parts Department has been great getting kohler parts for my 1920 but the Service dept wants nothing to do with Simplicity or so the attitude the Service manger's impression was. Maybe he was having an off day or just frusterated at the whole cab ordeal. But anyway we are going to make this cab work one way or the other, even if we have to rebuild the cab from the ground up. Wish returning it was possible but dealer won't budge. Take Care Jason B

I would find another dealer to buy parts from. I have a dealer that is 10 miles from my house, but he is such a pain that I will drive the 30 miles to the other two dealers that don`t have a problem ordering the parts that I need. Problem is they should have called you when they found out that the cab wasn`t available instead of thinking they would modify it for you to make the extra money. Isn`t there a Better Business Bureau in Canada?

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I would find another dealer to buy parts from. I have a dealer that is 10 miles from my house, but he is such a pain that I will drive the 30 miles to the other two dealers that don`t have a problem ordering the parts that I need. Problem is they should have called you when they found out that the cab wasn`t available instead of thinking they would modify it for you to make the extra money. Isn`t there a Better Business Bureau in Canada?
Hi Yeah they should have told me it was incorrect before even starting to put the cab on. When I talked to the dealer back in October he said it would fit. Well it was not until after it had been shipped that he told me modifications would be needed. Dealer is big in Kbouta and loves to push them over Simplicity. I don't know but it is a mess. Will be spending a ton of time starting to convert the cab to fit. I will post the pictures of the progress as she comes along. We are confident we can do it, as we did convert the Snow blower that is on the front of the 1920. Dealer said "why don't you do it? They knew we had modified the blower to fit the front. My reasoning for letting the Dealer do it, was because my shop is not heated plus I have been studying for college enterance exams, and on top of that we got a foot of snow so I thought they could do the job quicker then I could do at this time, but it looks not. Problem is we have been friends with the dealer for a long time, I hate it when if you don't have a $30,000+ piece of equipment or not a big time operator, then the dealer does not want anything to do with you. Probably why they quoted me $1600 in the first place, so they would not have to do the job. But oh well. Take Care Jason B

Hi Well, I proved the Service Manager wrong! The Cab will fit after all! Just a few minor modifications, not as much as they thought there would be! Can't figure out why they thought it was impossible to make it fit. The Modifying should take a day and a half, not 3 1/2 days like the Serivice Manager claimed and will cost no where near $1600 in labour to do. Will post pictures as soon as the cab has been finished! Hopefully this weekend the cab will be done!!sm01 So much for them saying it was impossible! Just goes to show you can do the modifying. They were a little concerned about me voiding the warrenty, but why should I worry about that, the cab does fit! Take Care Jason B

Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!! I trust short of a dire emergency you will not be using be this dealer anymore, right;)
quote:
Hi Well, I proved the Service Manager wrong! The Cab will fit after all! Just a few minor modifications, not as much as they thought there would be! Can't figure out why they thought it was impossible to make it fit. The Modifying should take a day and a half, not 3 1/2 days like the Serivice Manager claimed and will cost no where near $1600 in labour to do. Will post pictures as soon as the cab has been finished! Hopefully this weekend the cab will be done!!sm01 So much for them saying it was impossible! Just goes to show you can do the modifying. They were a little concerned about me voiding the warrenty, but why should I worry about that, the cab does fit! Take Care Jason B

Hi Well I will still have to use it to get parts as the nearest one is 40km away. Biggest Problem at my Simplicity Dealer was the Service Manager. Ran into the Salesman on Friday, asked me how the cab was coming along. Said it was going to fit find. I asked him anyway if this was the cab Simplicity recommended for the Sunstar. Said he had called Simplicity about it & that's what they told him. Anyway things are working out now. Take Care Jason B
quote:
Originally posted by Nubian
Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!! I trust short of a dire emergency you will not be using be this dealer anymore, right;)
quote:

Jason, Glad to hear you proved them wrong.Not to be smart,but i find around here i know alot more about the products then do the dealers some times.They sell a product & dont even know that much about them.I am glad to hear it is working out for you.How much snow do you have ?Please post some pictures of your cab on your tractor.Take care. Chad

quote:
Originally posted by AGCO918
Jason, Glad to hear you proved them wrong.Not to be smart,but i find around here i know alot more about the products then do the dealers some times.They sell a product & dont even know that much about them.I am glad to hear it is working out for you.How much snow do you have ?Please post some pictures of your cab on your tractor.Take care. Chad
Hi Well, I say we got a good 4 -5 inches so far and still coming down. Cab will be finished tonight, so this morning had to blow with the old walk behind. Fun Winter though. This weekend a freak Snow Storm and next weekend it is suppost to rain. Going to be an odd winter. Take Care Jason B