Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bruker

Skid Shoes & Shaver Blade?

PatRarick
So, Elon, what's it like living among all those loose peoples?:D:D On paved surfaces, I set the shoes so the scraper blade runs about 1/4" off the ground. On gravel I set it almost as high as it will go until I get a good snow pack, then set it at about 1/4" as well.

Gary
Sounds about right to me. I adjust the shoes so the scraper bar is between 1/4" and 1/2" off of the garage floor. Use a long piece of 1/4" or 1/2" plywood under the lowered scraper bar. Loosen the shoes so they touch the cement, and tighten the shoes.

HubbardRA
I keep mine sitting about 3/4 inch off the ground. I have a pea gravel driveway that isn't totally level. After breaking two windows and a storm door glass with the rotary mower, I don't take any chances with the blower.

ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
So, Elon, what's it like living among all those loose peoples?:D:D
Darn spell checker!!!:O I guess I clicked on the wrong word.:D I'm sure you all know I meant pebbles.

Kent
For my paved driveway, I may not know what I'm doing (quite likely), but I set mine up so that the cutting edge is completely flat, down on the pavement when the blade is lowered. I want to be able to scrape the snow, slush, and ice up as completely and cleanly as I can. If I leave any snow, even a 1/4", it will often get packed down and form a sheet of ice... So, I try to get it as clean as I can. I've noticed no damage to the driveway from the dozer blade, only scuffing from spinning the tires with chains on them. Note that with the cutting edge down like this, it will occasionally hang on an expansion joint on the sidewalk. But, this doesn't happen frequently because I usually have the blade angled, and it "bridges" the expansion joint... If the blade isn't angled, it'll snag quite often.

DMedal
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Note that with the cutting edge down like this, it will occasionally hang on an expansion joint on the sidewalk. .
when you run aground like this with your blower, what happens? what takes up the shock? ouch Or is this a spring loaded blade?

UCD
quote:
Originally posted by duckman
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Note that with the cutting edge down like this, it will occasionally hang on an expansion joint on the sidewalk. .
when you run aground like this with your blower, what happens? what takes up the shock? ouch
Remember my post about the broken driveshaft disk. Guess what?

DMedal
you hit a concrete bump and did it again? what do we win if we guess right? oh.. update: that's how ya get the nifty pretzel driveshaft I bet. and here I was thinking frame troubles.

Kent
quote:
Originally posted by duckman
quote:
when you run aground like this with your blower, what happens? what takes up the shock? ouch Or is this a spring loaded blade?
I have both my snowblower and HD dozer blade adjusted that way. My house faces the north, and if you leave snow on the sidewalk in December, the resulting ice could still be there in March... little/no sunshine hits it in the winter. Note that the sidewalk is only about 30 feet long, so it's not like I'm building up a whole lot of momentum or speed on it...

comet66
A friend of mine has a piece of heavy duty rubber conveyor belt as an edge on his blade to scrape his walks and not hang up. I think a piece of one of those pick up bed mats would probably work just as well.

Willy
I have a piece of conveyor belt on the bottom of my snow blade,it's 1/4 inch thick with 1/4 inch lugs.I have to trim the lugs off where I bolt it to the blade and taper them at the bottom. It saves the seal coat on the drive way. (until I have to put chains on).