Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Throttle & Governor Linkage ?

AllisPhreak

Merry Xmas to all ! With a big snowstorm in the offing, my A/C 616 Special (Simplicity 5116) decided to put Murphy's law to the test. I have been noticing that the machine would lose power when climbing hills, pushing a load, ect. To trouble-shoot the issue, I started off by checking the gas supply & filter, carb, etc. Imagine my surprise to see the carb spraying gas out of the throat of the carb. Nothing I did would lessen the spray...not adjusting the high speed main jet, nor adjusting the idle mixture screw. Time to rebuild the carb. Sent off to Jack's small engine for the complete rebuld kit. While removing the carb, Murphy struck again. The choke lever snapped off. Now I need to send off to Jack's small engine again for the replacement. More delay. Hooray ! All the parts are finally in ! Let's rip this bad boy apart.

Ah, there's the problem ! Looks like the larger spring in the fuel pump is distorted and out of whack. That might have done it. But look closer. The main jet needle valve is not only scored, but the tip is broken completely off. Let's get this puppy rebuilt and get it back on the machine.

Hey, that's looking good, yes ?

PROBLEM ! I could kick myself. I forgot to take a picture of this prior to disassembly :

I guess I had thought it looked pretty simple, simple enough that I would have no problem re-assembling properly. I could not be more wrong. I cannot figure out how this goes on, right side up, right side down, etc. Nor can I figure out how the Governor hooks up to this linkage assembly. I know it does, I remember unhooking it. Can anyone do me a real BIG favor by posting a pic of this thing completely assembled, or perhaps walking me through it ? Thanks in advance for the help !

UPDATE ! Finally got the Carb installed properly...JUST in time for the first flurries of the incoming storm. I started the darn thing up to adjust the carb....same problem ! Gas spewing out the throat of the carb, backfiring (with flames). Crap. What next to trouble-shoot ? Well, the flaming backfires sounds like a stuck or broken valve. Ok, got the head off...yep...there it is. The exhaust valve seat has come away from the engine block, and is bouncing around as the valve opens and closes...but no stuck or broken valve. Pretty loose, too. But where it is supposed to be seems to be in fairly good condition (hopefully I will not have to get an oversized valve seat). So, I ordered the whole new exhaust valve, springs, seat & retainer from Jack's small engine. But, with a little research on the 'Net, I came up with a whole bunch of pretty confusing terms. "Lapping the valve", "Peening the seat", "Valve clearance", "valve lash". Do all these terms apply to small engines ? And are all neccessary ? Help please ?

Yes, they are all needed to properly install the seat and seal the valve for proper operation. Even though you have a twin cyl. all this info is covered in the Briggs repair manual. They also have a manual for the twins but I've never seen it so I can't vouch for it's contents. I would recommend spending the extra few bucks and get a repair manual or sourcing it online PDF file. This is like a bible for small engine people. It's full of pictures(such as govn. linkage) and explains all the differences between all the older single syl. engines and their features.