Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Changes

Bluestreak

Today I decided to change the oil in my new to me Big Ten. Exactly how much oil should this tractor take? I put in about 1 and 3/4 quarts before the oil level came right up to the top of my fill up spout. I'm gonna guess that's too much oil. How much should I put in? Should I take some back out? After I put all that oil in, I ran the tractor for about 30 seconds at the lowest RPM's. All suggestions would be appreciated. Chad

To the top of the fill hole is the correct level. The correct capacity is two quarts the most likely reason you did not get 2 full quarts in it is sludge build up in the pan. Big 1o spec's http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/big_ten_specs.htm

Thanks for the reply Maynard. I looked at those specs before I made my oil run last week. I just panic'd when I didn't get 2 full quarts in there. Will it be a big job to get the sludge cleaned out of it?

Medium sized job, you have to undo the driveshaft, the wiring to the motor four bolts that mount the motor, then pull engine, and four bolts hold base/oilpan to motor you will probably need a new gasket for the base unless your lucky in disaasembly.

Was the tractor setting level when you filled it. Just a little slope toward the filler opening can make a difference. Just a thought.

toomanytractors
Before you go to all that work and if that's a 10HP Briggs (243431) I would take the tractor out and work it and get it good and warm. Park it so the oil drain is on the downhill side and drain the oil out. Push a piece of coat hanger wire in the drain hole and slide it around-pull it out and see how much crap is on it or how much will ooze out the drain. I've had 10hp Briggs engines for over twenty years, have never read a capacity chart and have only ever been able to pour in about 1.75 qt or so at any oil change. A pint of sludge sounds like a lot not to be causing other problems. I also believe that at times capacity specs tend to lean toward the generalizition side.

You may have crude in the pan, but my 10hp and 12hp I am only able to get 1 3/4 quarts in them as well. My 12hp has had the pan off and is clean in the bottom. On the 16hp with the long dipstick and fill tube that goes to the top of the cylinder head I can get 2 quarts in it as well as the 16hp that has the fill tube at the base of the motor but is in the block not the oil pan. I can get 2 quarts in that one as well. From all the 10hp, 12hp, and 16hp that I have seen they have the same pans. If I took the pans off I would spend the 3 or 4 dollars for the pan gasket.