Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Would it change anything

bkassulke

Would a raised fin head on a 12 hp briggs change anything or cause any concerns? I just received an engine that I bought and it is definitely a 12 hp with the extended front section, but it has the raised fin head. Thanks, Benjamin

I have a 14hp that has the raised fin and the front PTO covers like on the 12hp. The model number on mine is 320421. Yours maybe a 14hp. The reason I say this is because all the 12hp that I ever seen had flat fins and the head gasket is different on the 12hp and is no longer available without buying the complete gasket set part number 299719. The 14 and 16 has the same head gasket. It maybe possible that some of the 12hp engines had raised fins.

I think it would change little, I think one head is higher compression and one is lower, the bolt pattern is the same, and the gaskets are the same, the old #270400 crosses to 692231 which is the same as the 13, 14, 15, 16 head gasket which is readily available, for some reason Jacks site doesn't cross it to the new # but the sears site does.

The engine was originally from a 3414, but they shop that rebuilt it insists that it is a 12hp, however the original model number is covered by another tag with a new set of numbers, will try to get both those numbers tommorow to see if that will help any. Thanks, Benjamin

Does it have the counter balance raised section on the PTO side of the engine? If so it's the smaller 112/212 series engine. I'd be careful interchanging parts with the other late model 13,14,15,16 HP models. You could change the combustion chamber size and ruin your power.

The best way to determine if it is the 12 or if its a 14 would be to measure the bore. I have both 12's and 14's with balancers on both sides.

Chris, after you posted above I went out and took the head off of a 12 hp and compared the gasket from a 12hp to a 16hp. You are correct the hole patterns are the same. I was told by three Simplicity dealers last week that the gasket was NLA with out buying a complete gasket set and that is what I had to do. I get aftermarket parts also from a distributor and that is what Briggs told him as well. It is to bad that Briggs is telling there part sellers that they are NLA without buying a complete gasket set. When they are the same hole pattern as the 16Hp. I needed a head gasket bad last Saturday and bought the kit. The sad thing is I just went by what they told me instead of looking at the 4 new head gaskets that I already have for the 16hp.

The 30XXXX and the 32XXXX were the same engine other than the size of the cylinder bore. In fact, the 30XXXX block can be rebored by .125" to create a "new" 32XXXX block. Different heads and balancers gave five different horsepower ratings from these two models. The 30XXXX was available in 12 or 13hp. The 32XXXX was available in 14hp, 15hp, and 16hp.

The numbers that are attached over the original numbers are 302431 0144-01 7405281. The set under these are 233431 0627-01 7310291. Thanks for all the replies, Benjamin

233431 is a 9hp. They probably didn`t have the original cover for the 302431. the bore diameter will tell you. I believe the diameter of a 14hp is 3 9/16"

The engine that I have has a bore of about 3 7/16. The bore for a 12 horse that I have has about 3 3/8. Does this make the engine a 13? I also got into checking and I have no spark whatsoever so at least I never installed the engine eventhough it was suppose to be ready to go. Benjamin

Marty that is what I did first. I was hoping that it would be that simple. But I guess that I will have to put in a new coil. The points and condensor look brand new, however when I just took the cover was off I looked at the coil and it looks pretty sorry. I guess I replace that. Benjamin