Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snow thrower?

Chris727

Heard there was going to be a big snowstorm this weekend so last night I pulled the blower I bought last year out of the shed and tried to mount it on the B-12.

It is a 42" blower for a 7000 series but I figured I could work around the issue of not being able to turn it off by carefully choosing where I drove it. I've never used the tractor mounted blowers before and found that it clogged almost instantaneously, and when it did shoot the snow it only sort of squirted out, I did wire wheel most of the rust out of the shoot, and the snow was only 2 or 3 inches deep, and the drive belt was not slipping but once the schute clogged it basically pushed the snow like a snow blade. How fast should the auger turn? How wet of snow is too wet to blow? My Dad used his "green" walk behind blower and it didn't clog at all so I'm thinking I must be doing somethine wrong here.

Well if your blower is for a 7000 series, and your using it on that tractor, that is your problem. The pulleys are all wrong. The older blowers used a 5 inch pulley and you would put a 4 1/2 on the engine, on the later blowers, they used a 7 inch pulley and a 6 1/2 on the engine. Your set up is a 4 1/2 on the engine and a 7 inch on the blower. That combo will be way too slow.