Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

seat safety switch

RickS

Hi, The safety switch on my 7118 is giving me problems. Given the current temperatures and conditions I don't want to spend much time messing with it. Can I remove both wires from the switch and connect them together to bypass the safety switch. Yes I understand I am removing a piece of safety equipment, but when it acts up I cannot get the tractor started which means I cannot blow the snow off my driveway. No pictures but 8 inches and still coming down in Western Maine. thanks Rick.........

Depending on the type of connector it has, you may be able to just disconnect it and install a jumper wire with the proper terminal on each end of the jumper. This would allow you to repair/replace the defect part at a later and more convenient time. Dan

Thanks for the quick reply. The way my luck has been running, I was afraid if I connected the wires together something else would break. Now got to go out into the wind and fix / bypass the switch. I have more trouble with safety switches than they help. I agree safety switches are over rated. If I don't know what I am doing or am careless then I get what I deserve. thanks again Rick...........

It's funny to watch some one plowing with a seat switch. A buddy of mine had a JD with a fabricated sears plow on it. Every time he reached for the lift handle, the engine would just about stall.:D It was funny to watch him try to reach and lift it as quickly as he could.:D I would just take the switch out and use a jumper wire to by pass it. If you don't have any kids around who will climb on it wile it's running, don't worry about it.

My open policy on this must be that I nor the club condone any type of bypassing of any OEM safety device on ANY brand of engine driven equipment. That said if you notice the fact that so many people have figured out that simply unplugging the connector and putting in a jumper or cutting the connector off and connecting the wires to bypass the safety switch have become such common place that the tractor manufacturers have come out with a new safety circuit. This new circuit uses a relay to maintain an open circuit through the seat switch. The new connectors on the seat switch have a spring in the connector that closes the circuit when you unplug the switch. In effect you can't jumper or short the circuit anymore. You'll have to cut the wire loose and maintain an open circuit for the PTO to operate. Now then there may be another problem. I think some of these circuits use the same circuit as the starter interlock and the relay causes the circuit to be intact to operate the starter. The switches that disengage the PTO when the tractor is reversed are also in place. It's getting to be that you must become VERY familiar with electrical circuits to fully understand how to defeat these safety controls or learn how to maintain your pre 80's tractors to do your chores without Ralph Nader getting in your face.:(!

Dave, As a general rule I don't like to defeat safety switchers, but at 5:30 on a Sunday night witn snow coming down, one does what one needs to do. I do plan on replacing the switch, but needed a quick solution to get me through the storm. I now have a second problem, due to the sleet / rain the tractor won't start. I need to get it into the garage and warmed up. Rick.........

I spent a long night trying to by pass a switch, ended up, the wire going by the drive shaft was broke (cut) so hooking them together didnt do any good.

I find it really annoying to have to kill the engine to get off the seat. If transmission is in neutral, park is set and and the PTO is off I want to be able to get out of the seat to pick up something or maybe adjust a cultivator shank without having to restart. I've rewired some of mine to work like that and some just bypassed the seat switch so that I'm not running the battery down each time I pick up something the mower really shouldn't eat. of course if some idiot comes along and bumps it into gear you have a major problem.:O "How come you parked the tractor on the lumber pile?"