Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ridgerunner

One legged Big-Ten?

ridgerunner
Hi all, I have a '65 AC Big-Ten. I use it mainly for plowing snow in the winter. The only complaint with this machine I have is only one tire will put power to the ground. Nothing more frustrating than trying to back up and you can't, even though one tire is on good pavement and leaving the other spinning on ice. I've torqued the set screws to 30# with a torque wrench and still no improvement. Is there anyway to eliminate the limited-slip differential (mine should be called continuous-slip) and go fully locked? -Paul

HubbardRA
Paul, Get the diff and axle from a later model tractor, like a 7016, or some other RBT. The diff will bolt right to the existing tube on your Big Ten. You need the axle and the right side hub to make the change. After obtaining one, then take the diff apart carefully. You will find there are springs inside which push the spider gears against the sides of the the diff housing. Go to a hardware store and buy some washers for 1/4 bolts (to get the thickness needed). Drill the hole in the washer so that it fits over the tube that the spring is on. Then put the washers over the tube before putting the spring on. The addition of these washers will produce a very tight limited slit diff. On the one I did, you can tighten the lug nuts on a wheel with it off the ground as long as the other one is on the ground. If you need more information on this setup, PM me. If you really want your existing diff locked, just pull the right hub off, remove the spacer washers, then remove the gear that is keyed to the axle. Put the spacer washers behind it, then reassemble. Moving the gear outward will cause it to mesh with the spiders on both sides of the diff. This will prevent the spiders from rotating and lock the diff. If you want to unlock it later, just do the reverse and put the shim washers back where they originally were.

MPH
Rods suggestion on how to lock up the rear end does work, my B-112 was put together like that when I first got it, think by mistake, problem was it was almost impossible to turn the thing around as the front tires would just slide. It's worth your time to look for whats not working right, I'd start with removing the right hand hub and checking the gear, make sure it's still mounted tight, and check the nylon bushing, I chewed one of those out last summer using the one bottom plow.

ridgerunner
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to try the full lock option. If I don't like it that way, then no harm done, I can always change it back. Does anyone have a diagram/breakdown of the hub assembly that I can look at before I get my hands dirty? -Paul

msiebern
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerunner
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to try the full lock option. If I don't like it that way, then no harm done, I can always change it back. Does anyone have a diagram/breakdown of the hub assembly that I can look at before I get my hands dirty? -Paul