Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

101 Blown motor- Bad owner

FastPaul

Well as you all know the LL 101 blew up yesterday Why?,Well a 1/4" of oil in the pan just doesn't cut it. I guess that tractor slipped threw the cracks :OC:( Luckily I had another motor on the shelf ! It's a good smokeless running motor that came out of tractor that I transplanted a 16 Hp into Maybey some one can help me ID this motor The old motor

All cleaned up ready for a fresh transplant:D

OUCH !

The first # is a 2

This motor Is super clean inside with no sighs of wear

Thanks for any help

Dang Paul, that makes the ouch hurt twice as bad B). 24 is your cubic inch, believe either 10 or 12 hp 3 is basic design 4 is horiz flo-jet Mech gov 3 is flange mounted ball bearing 2 is rewind starter according to my briggs book

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
243431 = 10hp 820301 = January, 3rd 1982
I thought 820301 would've translated to March 1, 1982... ?

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
243431 = 10hp 820301 = January, 3rd 1982
I thought 820301 would've translated to March 1, 1982... ?
You maybe correct

quote:
Originally posted by FastPaul I guess that tractor slipped threw the cracks :OC:(
Betcha don't do THAT again for a while! and I bet there's a bunch of us checking oil

Paul, don't feel too bad, as I stated in show'n'tell I did the same thing to my b12 last year, now when using the 10w-30 I check the oil every 20 or 30 minutes of use.

Try this. From memory on 3 HP line umpity years ago. 82= 1982, 03 = March, 01 = day and 1 means the line it was built on. I believe the "E" number shown was as put on by Briggs. That was almost 20 something years after I left. There were no individual serial numbers, only batch numbers indicated by date and line number. Keep in mind, that in their hey day, almost 60,000 3 HP engines were built in a day and coming mostly from Milwaukee.

Paul, I bet you threw that rod on purpose just so you could tease us at another look at your shop. Boy I love all that stainless countertop.

I read your thread on the 101, I know the feeling, I was out blowing snow this afternoon with my hb212 (yes I did check the oil) I had just made my last pass and I heard an awful sound and the motor quit. After some looking around I found a 4" crack in the side of the block. I figure it is a good time to repower so I started the removal of the 12hp and get ready to insert the 16hp. I'll get a pic of the 12hp tomorrow.