Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snow blower belts

hdfx81

Happy Holidays everyone,I'm hoping someone out there can help. I've got a 3112V with a 36" snowblower on it and it keeps breaking belts I've gone thru 4 in the last 2 storms, 2 of them were used but the other 2 were new gates A54 belts which according to the gates web site is the simplicity replacement. I have also checked and adjusted the belt tension per the simplicity blower manual,and nothing is binding or dragging. Any ideas?

I should mention it will Throw snow like a champ for a while:D then the belt breaks:(,am I just working it to hard?

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Aftermarket belts just do not work.
I agree 100%. Spend the time and $$ to get a Simplicity belt -- it has more cloth cords in it, and is designed specifically for the backside idler pulleys and all the twists/turns it has to make... I've literally snapped the green PowerRated belts apart with the snowblower by hitting dense, frozen snow pushed up at the side of the street. They get hot and and soft there's not enough cording to hold them together should you hit something that places a sudden shock on them. They're also susceptible to getting turned over on their side or back and they'll quickly self-destruct. The PowerRated belts work OK in some places, but the snowblower isn't one of them... Get a Simplicity belt, then CAREFULLY adjust all the belt stops and guards to make sure they're not contributing to the problem. Also make sure the pulleys are in good shape and aligned correctly.

Easiest thing to do is call Brenda at Sandy Lake Imp, you'll likely have a couple belts to Maine in a day or two, 4 days to Alaska.

Michael, I would suggest Reids Service Center in Oxford. They should be able to set you up with a Simplicity belt. That have been a simplicity dealer for a long time and usually have the parts on hand for the older machines. I agree with both Maynard and Kent, for a snow blower and deck a Simplicity belt is the only way to go. Rick..........

quote:
Originally posted by hdfx81
Anyone know where I can get simplicity belt #106769 or 1721533SM in the Sanford Maine area?
These are the dealers with in 50 mile from you. Anyone can search dealers on their web site. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/dealer_locator.php MAINE-LY SMALL ENGINES 319 COUNTY ROAD WESTBROOK, ME 04092 (207) 761-1870 Distance: 26 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) NORTHWOOD POWER EQUIPMENT 1114 FIRST NH TURNPIKE NORTHWOOD, NH 03261 (603) 972-8700 Distance: 27 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) JORDANS LAWN & GARDEN CENTER 541 OCEAN HOUSE ROAD CAPE ELIZABETH, ME 04107 (207) 799-5140 Distance: 29 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) PHILBRICK'S SALES & SERVICE, INC 179 LAFAYETTE ROAD NORTH HAMPTON, NH 03862 (603) 964-8384 Distance: 31 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) BRENTWOOD POWER EQUIPMENT CENTER 244 ROUTE 125 BRENTWOOD, NH 03833 (603) 642-3201 Distance: 33 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) DAVE'S SMALL ENGINE BUS RT 101 RAYMOND, NH 03077 (603) 895-2735 Distance: 35 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) MERROW'S INC 100 HAVERHILL ROAD, ROUTE 110 AMESBURY, MA 01913 (978) 388-0679 Distance: 41 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) GREENLANDS OUTDOOR POWER EQUIPMENT CORP 105 MANCHESTER STREET CONCORD, NH 03301 (603) 225-3387 Distance: 42 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) EAST COAST LUMBER INC 3 COLONIAL DRIVE EAST HAMPSTEAD, NH 03826 (603) 329-7532 Distance: 42 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) SUMMA HUMMA ENTERPRISES LLC 194 PLAISTOW ROAD, RTE 125 PLAISTOW, NH 03865-0487 (603) 382-5031 Distance: 44 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) YC POWER & ASSOCIATES,LLC 192 MAMMOTH ROAD MANCHESTER, NH 03109 (603) 622-1100 Distance: 45 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) REID'S SERVICE CENTER 688 MAIN ST DIVISION OF W.M.P.E. OXFORD, ME 04270 (207) 539-4425 Distance: 46 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) AGAWAM SERVICE CENTER, INC 401 MAIN STREET ROWLEY, MA 01969 (978) 948-2723 Distance: 49 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>) YC Power & Associates, LLC 288 NORTH BROADWAY SALEM, NH 03079 (603) 898-2871 Distance: 50 miles Brands: Simplicity Lawn & Garden Equipment (maps and more information >>)

2 summers ago I bought a Gates replacement belt for my Regent's 36" mower deck and saved $7. It started to smoke and then broke after about 5 hours of use. UCD at the time said "do yourself a favor and always buy Simplicity belts." I did. That belt is still in use and I would have gone through 5 Gates belts in the same time.

Check the first picture guys ,the hub of his pully is facing out shouldn't the pully on the eng.be turned around?? I seen somewhere that it should be 3/4 in from the end of the pto to the center of the v in the pully. The hub of his pully is facing out.

quote:
Check the first picture guys ,the hub of his pully is facing out shouldn't the pully on the eng.be turned around??
I just checked my 2110, and the pulley IS turned the other way. Maybe something to think about. I'm using a belt from the local parts store on mine, with no problems at all. I would think a Gates belt should be OK.

The owner's manual for the old single-belt Allis shows the hub out... I've seen them both ways -- in fact, my HB-216 and 3112v have them mounted differently, I think. http://www.simpletractors.com/images/snow_ops/figure_3.jpg The real issue is does the pulley align with the two idlers so that the belt is straight up and down and not angled in the top (engine) pulley. If the hub is pointed in on the foot-draggers, the pulley needs to be back so far on the shaft that the hub almost rubs the grille.

Thanks for all the helpful info,when I took a close look at my front pulley the belt was angled in so I tried facing the hub in so I could get the belt straight(what a job without a puller ngr2) and so far so good:D.I'll let you know how things go.Thanks again cuz I never would have thought of it.

Hello make sure the belt keeper straps on the 2 pulleys where the belt turns 90* are in the right spot. I had one a little to high when I replaced a couple years ago & when I test ran it the belt was rubbing it. that belt was on it when I bought it 12 years ago & the blower sat in a barn for probably 10 years before I got it. belt broke because the return spring broke & flipped between that pulley & keeper & the end of the spring just scraped the belt smaller & finally broke. smelled one puff of smoke got off & looked & damage was done blowed another 10 ft. & was done.

I agree with using only Genuine Simplicity Brand belts. I have been running used Simplicities for over 5 years now. I've owned 5 different tractors, and I have never broken a belt. In fact, I've only replaced one; a mowing deck belt, which broke because I had it installed wrong. Pay a little more money, but save time and money later with longer belt life, and a better-performing machine. Tacey

Even a Simplicity belt will not last long on a system with misaligned pulleys. I used a Fleet Farm (Dayton) belt for over 10 years on my HB212 with no problems. Belts lasted less than an hour on my 712 until I made a slight adjustment (bent the pivot arm slightly) and it has now lasted over 8 years also.

I think as far as belt quality you mainly want a kevlar wrapped belt. Most of the Simplicity dealers I go to don't stock many Simplicity belts anymore, they sell pix, stens, or others but if they had the factory belts I would buy them.

There is no substitutes for factory belts. You get what was designred for the machine. Cut the aftermarket belts apart and compare to the originals. Simplicity takes into account the bends and twists, and builts accodingly. Jack

So far so good,turning the pto pulley and making sure the belt was running straight seemed to do the trick still running a gates belt without breaking but I have a simplicity belt on order. thanks for all the help. Hope everyone has a great New Year!!

quote:
So far so good,turning the pto pulley and making sure the belt was running straight seemed to do the trick still running a gates belt without breaking but I have a simplicity belt on order. thanks for all the help. Hope everyone has a great New Year!!
Glad to hear things are working out!dz

I've used all kinds of belts including some automotive fan belts(used one to drive a 48inch mower deck for 2 summers & it is still on the deck-twist & all) to drive some attachments without many of the problems people attribute to not using a simplicity factory belt. Alignment, tension, idler bearings and such all have a more significant bearing on how long the belt will last, in fact, if you are searching for your belt problem, you are going to just keep eating & breaking expensive belts instead of cheap ones until you find & correct the problem. Once fixed, then by all means get your self a good belt.