Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 Support Plate Help

gew59

I am having dificulty removing the support plate from the transaxle. I am cleaning the brakes and while I am there, I thought I would replace the brake seal. Before I break something, I thought I would ask for some advice in removing the plate. I have only owned the tractor for a couple of months, so it is discovery time. The newest discovery is part of the frame has been cut (as can be seen in the pic). Any ideas why? Glenn

The frame was cut out so the brake assembly could be removed without sliding the rear end towards the rear of the tractor an inch and a half. (a few more bolts and it would have slide with no problem) Take the top off the rear end housing and you can get to the bearing plate and tap it loose and out. It's a machined surface so it's a snug fit. Once you break the O-ring seal it should slide out fine. But you will need to keep it straight. Put a new seal and O-ring in while you have it apart. Be sure to lube up the new seal and O-ring before putting it all back together. Use a tourch to cook the oil out of the brake linings and scuff the wear surfaces up and you'll have good brakes for awhile.

D17_Dave - Thanks. I was in a bit of trouble and at a loss. You have simplified my evening. I am still in discovery with this tractor and I am sure there is more to come. Safe and Happy Holidays - Glenn

You can get the brake assembly off & out of the way without sliding it back, just takes a little fishing to get the pins back in. StanD

I was able to locate one brake seal yesterday and one side is completed. Does anyone know what the corresponding NAPA part number is for the Simplicty brake seal (part# 168006 superseded by 2168006). NAPA is not able to cross-reference. Thanks Glenn

Dave - You are correct. The seal I pulled was a Victor 64050-PE. This cross references to a NAPA 10075. Also, it is half the price of the Simplicity Seal. It will be in tomorrow morning. If there is a part mismatch, I will post it. However, I thought it would be good to document the part numbers for others. Thanks again for you valuable assistance. Glenn