Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Over Size Axletube Keys ??? 'I made Them'

MPH
While putting my 8.5 tires with chains on the B-112 I noticed 'too much' slop between the right and left tires. Knowing the left hub is a little use I went to the diff side/ right side...hmmm not good, diff moves a lot before the axle tube does. After tearing it down and cleaning up seems the axle tube keyways are about .006 oversize. the keys themselves are barely shy of 1/4". The hub is about .004 over, combined it sure makes a lot of play. Anybody make over size keys? JB weld the keys into the axle tube, looking for ideas. Not wanting to take my home made wheel wt off the left side again I choose to take it apart this way, not the brightest choice I ever made.

My 'milling machine'. Really it's a wet stone planer blade sharpener.

The axle tube keys weren't too bad making and came out nice and tight

One of the woodruff keys was really bad so thought it would work to grind down regular woodruff keys I can buy locally, not so, made them the right height but then the round part is still too big, didn't think that one through very farB).

Wound up going out in the 20 something below and salvaging a couple not so bad onesC

StanD
http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/kss-ksu-ksx.cfm Marty: Try this link & see what you think. I usually just mill next size larger to fit application if keyway is worn, have also ground them down but that is not as precise. Stan

HubbardRA
I too will cut down the next larger size key. I square up the worn groove, then use a die grinder to fit a new oversize key into it. It takes some time to hand fit them. It would be much quicker if I had a mill to cut them with. Most times I just open up the groove in the shaft to fit the new key without grinding the key. Then I only have to grind the part of the key that fits the internal groove of the part that slides onto the shaft. I try to do all the grinding on one side of the key. I grind the side that only sees a force when in reverse.

john-holcomb
I happen to have a small machine shop in my garage. [you'd think after all day running a shop I wouldn't want one at home]:D Any way if someone is stuck and needs a special key let me know and I will help you out for resonal [cheep] price. I hate to see anyone take a grinder to a tube axle as this can take the temper out or harden the tube and cause it to crack under heavy load.

MPH
Thanks for the offer John, but I would of had to send you the axle and tube and hub to fit the tapered keyways. It was time consuming grinding the keys fat in the middle but still a 1/4" in the bottom of the groves but they fit tight now.