Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB blew up (updated)

Glacier

Last pass blowing snow on Tuesday.

This is a not so good pic of the right side of block when sitting on the tractor. And this is what I found in the oil pan.

I am going to replace the 12 with a 16. The 16 has a gear starter and I don't know how to wire it so I might switch it over to a starter/generator. Jeff

Changing over to a later model with the gear starter is not a big deal. Been there done that. It does require some rewiring but I don't believe it to be too difficult. Just remove the standard voltage regulator, wire the bat feed (BAT term on standard regulator) to the bat term on the voltage regulator/ rectifier and if it has a starter relay already then the switched battery goes to the starter as seen in the photo of my now sold B112 w/ a 16 hp B+s.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/DSCN1473.JPG[/img]

Up and running again !!

And all back together!!!

Just a few small things left. Like lengthen the choke cable and hook up the alternator wire. Have to change the decals to HB 216.

I thought a late model 16 would not drop into an Allis frame because the large frame tractors have kind of a bucket the engine sits in and the FDT frame is different, particularly with regards to the oil drain. Did you have to swap pans or does a late model 16 just bolt in? What about the drive shaft? Do you use the old one or need to use the one that came with the new engine?

If memory serves me right, I swopped out the oil pan from a different motor. And as far as the drive shaft it bolted right up.

Same oil pan. Sometimes you may have to remove the pan and turn the inlet?outlet for the oil around so it aligns with the AC frame holes but it's the same otherwise. The same booster fan is on the front so the driveshaft bolts right up too. Almost as if they were made just for this.:D

Jonathan, Once you get to the later models, such as the early landlord and B-10 models the briggs engines are fairly interchangeble. Only the early models like the simplicity 700, 725 and the Allis B-1 need frame modification for the later and bigger engines to fit. Specifically there is a cutout in the frame that allows the larger engines to fit. Occasionally the engine pan will need to be reversed for the oil drain plug to be in the right place.