Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs governor issues

DaknSak

The governor on my 7016H single cylinder Briggs has been acting weird. The tractor has plenty of power for about 25-35 min of full throttle snow blowing, no over revving or bogging. After this time the governor becomes mostly unresponsive, lots of over revving and bogging down. It does react to load changes, but very slowly and erratically. Any help would be great, we've already had 4'+ snow here in Vermont and I need this thing to behave! Thanks

Most likely your carb and throttle linkage are iceing. you will to install some short of winter shield. It directs heat off from the muffler to the carb area to prevent iceing. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS - Engine Winterizing Kit http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_200_1672_02_SK_SMA.pdf

Thanks guys. Maynard, do you know if that kit is still available? I have had icing problems before but this seems like a different problem. Not that icing isn't the problem now, but could something else cause this behavior. I've been blowing with this tractor for a few years and this seems like a new problem.

I made one the first year I had my 7016 with some thin roof flashing and duct tape.Planned on pop riveting it together,just never got around to it!

The icing is very real on these briggs. Happened to me last winter and scared the bejesus out of me when the engine started screaming at full bore. Anyway, here is my solution. It works great and solved the problem.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Carbshield16.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Carbshield26.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Carbshield36.jpg[/img]

Quickie temporary solution is to spray the carb down with WD-40. Least it might tell you if that is your problem. Possibly different outdoor temps or snow conditions is causing it to bother now different then in the past. 4 foot of snow, with that much play time we need pictures:D

Thanks for all the info and pic's. I guess I need to start riggin' before the next storm. Or hope for a response to my parts wanted add. I'll probably try the WD40 to make sure this is definitely my problem.