Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pic of Starter on Simplicity 3410 (Briggs 10 HP)

Tacey

I need a pic of the proper S/G on my 3410 (10 Hp briggs single # 234341, I think). My S/G belt is slipping, and as I tried to tightening it, I noticed that the adjustable brace used to adjust the belt tension doesn't look right. I'm still getting used to my "new" 3410, and ironing out bugs. I have been using it to plow snow, and haul a TON of firewood, and it runs great. I've looked and looked and searched for a line-drawing or a photo, and I'm stumped. (Doesn't take much - - ha). Thanks. Tacey

A common problem is the tensioning bracket, (item 12) on Maynard's picture, is sometimes reversed. This makes the bracket hit the mount and won't let the belt adjust completely. May not be your problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Another reason I've experienced for belt slipping (only on starting - never on running) is an old belt. The belt develops a "glaze" as it hardens with age and just doesn't grip well. Since you have to unbolt the driveshaft to change the belt, I never get around to changing the belt in the summer - always when it's cold and the belt slips even more.

Thanks for the drawing UCD, and for the words of wisdom D-17 Dave and PhanDad. It looks like I have all the right pieces. The piece that I was describing, part # 12 (the Tensioning Bracket), looks to be the correct one. The thing just seems to be an awkward design; I would think that a curved piece would be easier to adjust. The bolt that I have ( item #9 in the drawing) is not the right one. It looks too small and too short. I'll replace it and adjust. I also will try cleaning the belt, because I may have gotten some WD-40 or something on it when I was cleaning up the tractor. Thanks again, and I'll let you know if when I get it fixed. d:) Tacey

Randy, Your S/G pulley may be worn. I had one that the groove was more "U" shaped than "V". No amount of tightening helped. I had to change it.

If the bolt the joins the bracket to the generator is loosened a little so it can hinge freely it will slide and work as easy as a curved bracket. Also a worn belt that must be over tensioned will decrease the bearing life of both the generator and the engine.

Ok, I got it tight, and the tractor now starts right up almost instantly. You guys have me thinking it might be a good idea to change the belt. It does seem to be pretty slick. I'm going to price a new belt and a pulley. I'm sure that would be an easier and cheaper fix than new bearings. Tacey

Lots of times the belt is worn on the sides to where the belt's bottom hits the bottom of the pulley where it gets little traction. Sounds like you definitely need a new belt. Less than $10 and a good investment!