Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Good news Bad news

FastPaul

Well got the new motor in the LL today ,Runs real good

Bad news Took the B-112 out to clean up the driveway after plowing up all the hard pack ( About 45 Deg. )with the B-12 ) I didn't push anything hard I don't no what happened ,The key's must be really worn I thought the tire came loose because the tractor was going up and down on one side .I think the axle might have bent too :(! I have the week off and my plan is to get the big 10 done ! Good thing I have a donor rear end . Just when you think your ahead of things something always breaks

wow, does that suck!! Though I am expecting to experience the same thing soon....I just hope it is close to my shelter

The weight on back had to add to the damage. That's why I'm a firm believer in adding as much extra weight to the wheels as possible. Fluid filling tires, then adding cast weights is the way to go. Lots easier on the drivetrain. It still adds some load to tranny when reversing direction, but still the best way to go when possible. If the casting is hogged out a bit (especially likely at seal contact area) you can build up with JB Weld. If seal goes in snug enough, best to put seal in first, then fill gaps with the JB. Good luck & hope it's easy enough to get repaired.

Well after some thinking I think I'm going to transplant a hydro in the B-112 . As for the theory of to much weight!! I don't think It's all about how much weight you have ( But yes I do agree more weight the more likely you will do damage ) If your axle keys are worn there going to roll over and break the outer axle :( Too many of us neglect to look at the play in the axle keys . Something I will be looking at on all my tractors soon,If the keys and the slots are tight I think the axle setup is pretty much bullet proof , Remember These machines are 40 years old and most of us use them like there new ( New to us) Try adding the weight we add or even doing the things we do with these old tractors compared to a new tractor of today I got a hydro out of a 3416 that works good but I cut it out of the tractor at the time ,But I have another tractor thats complete with the Vickers in it I think the brackets are the same .Elon you can jump in any time I could use your advice I know you did this a while ago Any way Hers a few pics Of what I'm up against. I've been very busy today . and I'm still trying to get the Big Ten done :O This is the hydro I want to use , came out of a 3416 Sunsrand

Will all the linkage work from this tractor It;s a 3416 Vickers

Bravo on the engine Paul,and I feel for you on the axle. Sure helps to have spare donor units sitting around. About that scoundrel Murphy......it's been a while since we had a "Murphy watch",may be time to start tracking him again! Larry

The linkage between the Vickers and Sunstrand are quite different. I think the Sunstrand requires about twice as much movement on the actuation rod as you would have on the Vickers. It will require some linkage modification, but it has been none before.

The same thing happened to me,but I was abusing it bt trying to move red clay and gravel. I don't think a B12 can be used like a bulldozer even though its called a dozer blade.

Boy, does that look familiar! Same thing happened to my 7018H a few weeks ago while blowing snow. It all started with the pulley coming off the blower (needed a new key). Then a while later while backing up I caught the front right tire on an icy snow bank and almost pulled it right off the spindle. Then the 3rd strike was the axle tube. Luckily I'm getting a used rear end from Ray this week. If everything comes in threes, I hope I'm done.

Paul, it's a straight forward bolt in swap from a HB112/HB212 hydro but there will be lots of stuff to do to fit the Sundstrand in the 112. Check out Maynards HB112. It was converted by SmilinSam like your doing and he has very good pics and description. It's on file somewhere.

My HB-116 built by SmilinSam Variable to Hydro #2 With new style hydraulic lift from transmission http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro2.htm Kents HB-216 Variable to Hydro #1 with old style hydraulic lift. http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro.htm

Bummer on the axle Paul. Sure hope my time spent making oversize keys on the B-112 help prevent that. That green Simplicity looks a little complete to use as a donor tractor, but guess it be ok, it is a RBT donating to a FDT:D

Well guy's I decided to throw another variable in this morning I still want to do the hydro conversion , But with this being my no#1 snow machine and having to get the Big Ten done it seemed like the thing to do . I did take the axle apart to check the keys, A little worn ,I replaced the two on the axle tube I got the var. linkage all tuned up too It works much better , Heres a thought! I might try brassing the key in to the axle tube then they can't move at all and would last alot longer and if you need to replace them just heat them up the trick to that would be not melting the seal This is whats left of the old girl .My wife saw this pic. and said it looks like a farmer lives here LOL

All presure washed ready to go in

All fixed and happy, waiting for the next snow Now I can sleep tonight

good thinking paul. no good when your working to get your tractor done and trying to race a snow storm. hope you'all have a merry christmas. have fun and stay warm......perry

Paul, You seem to do what most of us wish we could do ( having the shop, tools, time and dedication ) you saw what little space I have to work with. I allways enjoy when you post, the work is great, the enthusiasism is great and the speed, Well, what can I say, the names says it all " Fast Paul " . Allways a pleasure to read your posts.

Paul I have 2 complete spare hydro's both from an rbt, 1 is a sundstrand complete w/bgb pto and linkage in good condition the 2nd is a vickers that I have not yet tested also complete. Let me know if you can use either of them.

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
Paul I have 2 complete spare hydro's both from an rbt, 1 is a sundstrand complete w/bgb pto and linkage in good condition the 2nd is a vickers that I have not yet tested also complete. Let me know if you can use either of them.
Thanks Reed I have some spares too I just need some more time When my B-112 Dosen;t have to be ready for duty