Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Fronkie

Engine and Transmission cleanup

Fronkie
I finally tackled my 7014S and have a majority of the sanding done. Hopefully I can start painting after the new year. My question is...what is the easiest way to clean up the rear end of the tractor? I've scraped off the big chunks of grease, dirt, grime, etc. Is it best just to take it and power wash it? Please advise so I can get down and dirty. Thanks a million and Merry Christmas to all.

PeppyDan
It depends on how nice you want it. I have cleaned some with a pressure washer with ok results. Others I have taken completely apart and cleaned each piece then wire brushed/sanding wheels to clean them. I then primer and repainted each piece and reassembled with new seals, bearing and gaskets. For most tractors the pressure washing/degreasing is enough but paint may not stick as well. Dan

Willy
I like Purple Power degreaser and a power washer, you should be able to get it at Wall- Mart. It will discolor paint if used full strength so anything you don't want to repaint should be cleaned with a diluted mix. Works for me.

DeltaBravo
One key is to give the degreaser some soak time, scrub with a toothbrush, and repeat. Repeat once more to ensure all the grease is gone before sanding or painting. Repeat again after sanding. Degrease before any sanding so the grease won't get sanded into the metal and residual paint.

MrSteele
My favorite is several attempts with Purple Power and a pressure washer. If you have access to a steam cleaner, that will be the best. Just soak it in your favorite degreaser, then steam it. Using some sovlents will leave an oil residue that itself will have to be cleaned off before paint will stick.

JohnFornaro
I use Purple Power, plus toothbrush, plus hose, plus watering can. I also only do this on hot 90 degree summer days. I give the undiluted Purple Power time to soak in, after spraying full strength with the squirt bottle. T-Brush nooks and crannies. Thumb on hose for "power" washing. Repeat as necessary. Water it down with the watering can, which gets everywhere. Don't start the tractor till it dries naturally in the sun. I really need to get a power washer.