Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1st restoration, need help!

Newinhim

All- I am finally going to start restoring a 1968-69 616 Yeoman, and have more questions than answers. The tractor was in working condition, with all sheet metal in good shape, before I took it apart and stored it. My intent is to go from the ground up. I have plenty of time and room, but limited knowledge and limited funds. My thought was to first strip off all of the old paint, sand all parts and get it primed. Any suggestions on stripping techniques and preservation afterwards? I have fair mechanical skills, but no real painting/bodywork experience. Thanks.

A good auto paint stripper works very well, but I never really worried about getting aLL the old paint off. I sand the loose paint and feather and prime the nicks and paint it. The important thing is get all the grease off before you start. Unless you're show it I wouldn't worry about striping it bare. Just m.h.o. good luck!! Jim

I fully agree with what Willy said. I once heard from an automobile restorer not to worry about the old paint. If it has stuck on for this many years, it will stick many more. Like said above, feather the edges of any scratches or chips, then prime. One piece of advice I wil give on doing this, try whatever primer you decide to use on one piece first instead of many. This is to make sure the primer does not lift the old paint, most rattle can primers are not agressive enough to do this, but make sure before it makes a big mess. Another tip, start on the undercarriage parts first. This will give you time to get a hang of it before painting readily seen parts like the hood. Take your time, it should be fun, not a second job! Just my two Lincolns.;)

Jim and Rich- Thanks for the input, what you said makes sense. Does anyone know where I can find Simplicity orange and white paint to re-finish the 616 with once it is sanded and primed?

Most guys use Chevy Orange engine enamal(Duplicolor is most popular by me) or Allis Chalmers orange from True Value hardware. I prefer the end result with the true value paint but it's tough to work with- it runs easy and you need to use several thin coats with lots of drying time, but it makes for a nice finish when done. The Chevy orange is much easier to work with. I just use regular Rustoleum white on my wheels, but heres a link on that: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23253 I did not think about it before I posted, but I can show both paints on one tractor! [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/TPBRigging/dolls-shed013.jpg[/IMG] The tractor was shot with True Value paint around 2002; the loader bucket and frame with Chevy Orange in 2006.

Johnmonkey and Tom- Thanks for the posts (and Picture!). I have been wanting to do this restoration for a while now, and am very excited to get started. It is good to know there are resources like the people in this club to go to for advice. To all- I am new to this stuff, so even unsolicited advice is welcome!sm06

Bill, My AC713S was painted with Chevy Engine Orange rattlecans from a local auto supply store. I used Navajho White from True Value on the wheels. I liked the color and the paint was easy to use. I only sanded to bare metal in the areas where there was heavy rust buildup. The rest of the paint was just smoothed and sanded enough to make the paint stick. The following is a picture of it hauling me around at Spring Fling in 2006.