Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 19 Briggs

MikeG

I finally found the time to start working on my 725, the motor is very tired and has a knock. I have another Model 19 that was given to me that had been sitting for many years. I started to clean it up and found that the piston is marked 0020, meaning oversize it had been previously rebuilt it is also a mixture of parts, some orange and some yellow. Well I put a good carb and starter on it and it starts right up, but rev's uncontrollably. I set the governor to factory spec's according to the manaul, could something be messed up with the linkage inside the block or some other cause? Thanks,

Hello Mike, I have an Ebay purchased 725 that was doing the same thing when I tried to get it running. I looked at all the tips for govenor adjustment, and tried them. but it continued to do the same thing. A long look a the diagrams for govenor adjustment led me to the conclusion that the govenor was working correctly, but the lever on the throttle rod was backwards on the carb causing the govenor to work backwards. Another member posted somewhere that at some point the carbs changed and newer carbs placed on older motors will have this problem. For now the machine is on the way back burner, but I'll be watching this post to see if you get it figured. Regards

Thanks for the reply Roger, I think you have found my problem. I looked at the carb that was on the engine when I got it and you are right it is different than the others. The trottle lever is opposite of the other carbs. This carb is very nasty looking and appears to have been worked on before. After I clean it up and rebuild it I will try it hope this cures my problem.

I've run into similar issues and now know to check when swapping carbs (though sometimes not until after the swap!). You could probably simply swap the throttle shaft from the old carb for the one in the replacement carb. As I recall the throttle plate is just attached with a screw. Good luck!

Well, after checking my carb stash I found 3 old style carbs. One was completely gummed up and had a leaky float. I used just the top half of one with the bottom of a newer carb. I found that there is also two different throttle bore sizes, the old style being smaller. One odd thing about the carb I used is that it had a body gasket made from a beer coaster, the kind you get in a tavern. I guess some people use what they have on hand :o). To make a long story short the new carb works great and I just had to try it out in a snowstorm, by the way the 725 didn't like to turn in 5" of snow wish I had pictures of my test.:D:D

Carbs for the aluminum block engines have a different throttle shaft that works in the opposite rotation of the carbs for cast iron engines. You don't need to replace the entire carb, only the throttle shaft.

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out Mike. And thanks to Pat and John for providing more detail. I have a couple of old walkbehinds with model 19's so maybee I've the bits to get my 725 sorted as well. Regards