Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar measurement needed

stevenj

I would appreciate it if several of those who have a Sunstar style tractor with the 46" front push blade could give me their vertical distance from the ground to the bottom of the cutting edge with the blade fully raised and in the straight ahead position (i.e. not angled). Please measure at the center of the blade. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Nubian. If I could impose on Ambler and possible Comet66 to provide some more measurements, I'd appreciate it. Any other Sunstar or D/A owners out there with a 46" HD blade???

I'm afraid mine would not be of much help. I have the 26" tires on the back and so my tractor has a forward rake to it. Which does not allow it to lift front attachments to the full design height. That is why I didn't respond earlier. I also have the blower on it rather than the blade. I would be glad to provide any measurements you might need from that, but again it doesn't lift it as high as it would with 23" tires.

I just went to check, but I too have the 26" rear tires and only get 2.75" of lift at the center of the blade. Been thinking of putting the 23" Ag lug on it since they are filled with washer fluid. The added lift height would be nice, but I have been doing ok so far with the snow we have had here in Kansas City this season. Nothing works well removing ice. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! I thought that 8-1/8" seemed a little low, but I measured my 17GTH-L with the 46" blade and got about 8.5", and I thought it lifted reasonably high. I've got a used Sunstar, but the engine is out of it and it's under a tarp and snow right now. I'm trying to figure out how much total fore/aft movement of the lift rod there is between full down and full up. I'm going to make a front bucket for it and need to figure out where to put the pivot for the bucket and whether I can use a gravity dump or have to use an electric linear actuator to dump the bucket. I plan on using the same mounting points for the bucket as the front blade & snowblower hitch use. Unfortunately, I never measured the lift rod movement before I tore it apart this summer. The reason for asking for the measurements from a couple of different tractors is that the amount of lift (and down travel) can be adjusted by the adjuster screws on the hitch. Some might have been adjusted to have more or less lift so I was looking to determine an approximate range. comet66 or rsachs, If you could measure your lift rod fore/aft movement between full up and full down, I'd really appreciate it. It would be easiest to take a measurement from a fixed point on the rear of the tractor to a fixed point on the lift rod or to the pin where the lift rod attaches the front hitch (keeping the tape measure roughly parallel with the lift rod) in the full up and full down (powered down) positions and give me the difference between the two measurements. Steve

Steve, I don't think I am going to be much help, but here is what I measured. I only get .75" of travel in the liftrod from full up to down. My 1920 does not generate down pressure that I'm aware of, so "powered down" is the same as ground level for me. I measured this in the garage on level floor, but the travel can be greater on uneven terrain. Remember I only get 2.75" of lift at full height with the 26" tires on the rear. Maybe Nubian can be of more help to you with his setup. Good Luck. Rollin

Rollin, Thanks! I don't think that the 26" rear tires is the primary limitation to your being able to get more lift out of your blade. I think you should be able to get more lift if you adjust the two screws with the flattened ends. These raise and lower the hitch relative to the lift arm. Push your hydro lift lever forward until the blade goes down and wait for the ram to fully extend (you should hear a slight hissing). Loosen the locknut on each adjuster screw with the flattened end. Then run the adjuster screw in until it contact the lift arm bracket. Then back them out equally a few turns to allow some downward travel. Tighten the locknuts and try lifting. You should be able to get more lift. If you don't have enough downtravel for your liking (to follow contour changes in the ground), then unscrew each of the adjuster bolts a little more. Check for clearance to the upstops on the tractor frame. You should not touch the upstops. Here's the link to the owners manual that gives you the instructions. See page 6, Adjustment - Transport Height. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php?f_dsprslt=true&f_mfgno=1691365&f_submit=Search#start

Steve, Thanks for the tip and the manual link. I didn't have the one for the blade alone. I just bought this 1920 last May and the blade had never been on it according to the PO. I did not give myself enough lead time this winter when I put it on after the first snow to adjust it. I need to do an oil change this weekend, so I will make some adjustments then. Do you want me to measure the length of travel once I adjust the screws for more lift height?

quote:
Originally posted by rsachs
Steve, Thanks for the tip and the manual link. Do you want me to measure the length of travel once I adjust the screws for more lift height?
Yes, please.

Steve, What a difference proper adjustment makes! I now have a lift height of 11.5 inches measured at the center of the blade. The length of travel of the lift arm from full up to full down (powered down) is 3 inches. Let me know if you need other measurements. - Rollin