Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brucep

Charging system

Brucep
I know this topic has been around hundreds of times but here goes. The problem is this. The AC circuit only puts out about 5 to 6 volts, the DC circuit doesn't put out anything. I did this test by following the instructions on how to test the electrical system by Briggs. Info below: Briggs 16 HP, I replaced the alternator with what Briggs says in their engine alternator replacement guide is the right one. This is determined by the color of the wires on the old one and the size of the magnets inside the fly wheel. It's a dual circuit alternator. The wiring of the tractor is correct by the parts manual for 7010 & 7016 six speed MFG #1690423 page #38, the ignition switch is correct by the Engine alternator replacement guide page #8. So with everything correct, what is my problem? Frustrating!

Brucep
I have read this post before and it is very useful, probably read it about two years ago I'm guessing and I have taken the advice. I have worked all threw this checking all connections for good contact and all switches making sure they work like they should using a VOM. I have been trying to solve this problem since I bought the tractor about three years ago. I did finally figure out that the alternator connection to the equipment harness wasn't correct, someone had cut the wire (outside of the shroud) and connected them with crimp connectors and in doing so cut out the Diode, this is why I replaced the alternator but the alternator still had the original wires coming out of it and that's how I could tell which alternator it was. It's pretty simple to test the alternator to see if it is doing it's job and it's all about the alternator when doing the test because it is disconnected from anything else on the tractor. I know it puts out 5 to 6 volts AC, should put out twice that. Doesn't put out any DC.Only has continuity one way threw the DC wire which it should because of the Diode. It does show continuity threw the AC wire to the engine block which I suppose it would because of the fly wheel magnets making field contact with the alternator. I don't know where to go with this now, I'm pretty fed up and stumped especially when it's all done By the book and still doesn't work. Can fly wheel polarization cause this problem? I know it can with the magneto/armature but that is a magnet in the outside of the flywheel. The alternator magnets are mounted on the inside of the flywheel, glued to the flywheel some how. Thanks for pointing out that article, it never hurts to refresh and I welcome the advice. Bruce