Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Right hand lift lever for what???

ZippoVarga

Just got this home but before I alter it I would like to know which model it came off of. Total length is 24 inches. Any ideas???? Thanks for any and all input and Happy New Year!!!

Just send it to me and I'll check to see if it fits on any of my tractors:D8D:pdOd! If it doesn't, I'll send it to another club member to see if it fits on any of his, so on and so forth untill we find out what it fits on!dOd Dan

Here's updated pictures of the entire assembly and a quick shot of a broadmoor lift lever.

Broadmoor lift lever comparison

There you have it......If it's a broadmoor, serf, yeoman lift lever then it's none that I've ever seen. I just hate to alter it before knowing what it goes to in case it's an item someone needs.

I thought about that for a split second, but I have that lever also and it comes with it's own detent bracket that bolts to the frames. Besides that, the newer model levers don't use the octagon push button. They have cotter pins to release the inner rod and the button is just plastic. This is an older style rod but it's got me stumped. Like I've said....I hate to alter it before knowing what it's for.

Sean, I believe the lift lever in question was only used on the Broadmoor 738 (MFG# 990898) and the Yeoman 648 (MFG# 990899). Earlier year models used a lift lever similar to the one below:
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/ZippoVarga/100_0950.jpg[/img]
Later year models of the Broadmoor (System 5008 and 5010) had a painted lift lever (instead of chrome) and had a white grip.

I agree with GregC, it looks like the one on my 738(#990898), my older 728 is much different and mounted a lot farther forward. And no, I don't need it. (the chrome does look better tho....)
[img]/club2/attach/PatrickE/simtractors10.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/PatrickE/728.JPG[/img]

Cool.......this answers the question!! Thanks every one!! Alterations forth coming to make it a secondary lift lever for my 64 LL. Thanks for the exploded drawing Maynard, that's exactly what I have!! Awesome looking fleet you've got there Pat and thanks Greg! This is worth 10 bucks I guess...lol. ^:D Now to just make the broadmoor lever work on the LL, that is, untill I'm lucky enough to come accross an OEM right hand lift lever. Ya'll are great! Thanks again!!

I have a Broadmoor RHL in my garage awaiting conversion to a large frame someday, but there is one tidbit of info I haven't gleaned from the site yet. Can someone post the overall length of an original right hand lift lever? Because the pictures of originals always seem to look shorter than the left lever, and I am curious how the length compares to a Broadmoor one... Thanks!

PatrickE - sorry to get off the subject, but nice Beetle! The tail light is partially blocked in the pic, but is that a 1971/1972? It looks like it has the reflector on the side of the tailight. I should also know by the decklid, but can't remember my VW's like I used to. My dad had a '71 Beetle when I was a kid. Parts of it live on in 3 dune buggies now, including the '65 Baja Bug I had and sold to my younger brother. I would like to see more pics of the Beetle. By the way, the Simplicity tractors are cool too. Can't forget about those... Tim

I won't dare say it won't work as a RHL lever for a larger tractor but there is a lot of work involved. The length is different, the angle is different, and the quadrant is made to support the lateral load. It's much more complicated than it seems. I have all the dimensions off the one I had. I wish I had time to fabricate some complete replica's.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
... the quadrant is made to support the lateral load...
By this, do you mean that as long as the lift lever is latched in a notch, the lateral side to side motion load is taken by the quadrant? I can see that, but if it isn't in a notch I am having trouble seeing what keeps the arm from floating or bending a little laterally away from the tractor... I guess if it's floating you aren't putting much load on it anyway. SmilinSam made one from a Broadmoor, but then I can't even begin to set myself up as him! And his external site pictures are gone too. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6922

sean, i have the orginal lower quaudrant on my 64 landlord but dont have lever if you what to take a look at it or may have a copy made let me know just live south west of you between shirley and wilkinson ind. paul

Micheal, the lever has an extra piece of metal welded to the inside that tracks the quadrant. This helps support the weight of the attachment while lifting. What I found out when I duplicated the quadrant was that there are several varying angles just on the quadrant. Nothing maintains a uniform radius. Also the tractor frame narrows where the quadrant mounts so the half of the quadrant has to be bent in multiple angles to achieve the correct radius when it's finished. I have a quadrant that I made and the jig I made to weld the 2 pieces together. I'll get a picture of these later today.

Here's a couple of pictures of what I had made a few years back. This is the quadrant I made. I spent hrs measuring the different angles on each piece of metal and drawing them out. When I had this cut out I had them laser cut. You'll notice if you have an old one to compare it to that this one that I made has cleaner lines and edges than the original parts that were stamped out with a die.

Wish I could have found the punch and die's for all the parts it takes for these Right Hand Lift Levers.8C This shows the jig I made. It's not fancy. Just made out of scrap lying around. But it works very well. This will align both parts exactly as needed every time before they are welded.

This one shows the quadrant in the jig and somewhat how it sets. It uses the holes in the metal to center the parts so they can be clamped and welded. Anyone wishing to recreate any parts will need to make such jigs as this so each weldment is the consistently the same.

I hope this helps put the issue into perspective. When I was more serious about recreating these I had found the original hand grips, springs, got a bid on the laser cut parts, and found everything needed. I also found out I'd need to put up several bucks and make a few hundred of these to be able to market them cheap enough to sell and turn any reasonable amount of profit. Now steel has tripled and my time is short. Sometimes life just ain't fair.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Micheal, the lever has an extra piece of metal welded to the inside that tracks the quadrant. ... I have a quadrant that I made and the jig I made to weld the 2 pieces together. I'll get a picture of these later today.
Ah, I see, an extra piece of metal on the lever that fits over quadrant. I can see how the quadrant must be just right then to track lever movement. Thanks for the pics, that jig looks like it took a lot of work!

LOL, the jig I put together out of scrap in about 30 minutes. The hard part was getting Kent his original quadrant shipped back to him. I think it only took me 2 years to return it:O I'm lucky as it was an extra that he wasn't using at the time. I made 2 of these prototype quadrants and gave him one for letting me pattern it. After that I got a complete RHLL and copied all the pieces on CAD. Maybe Kent will chime in and tell us how it worked out.

Wow - lot of effort to make that quadrant, My idea is to just use the quatrant assembly from the Broadmoor. If you look at the above photo of the 738, you will see that the quadrant / pivot bushing assemble is quite small. This type of lift only extends thru the one side of the frame - it does not have any bar crossing over to the other side of the frame (you can see this clearly in the above diagram of the lever, too). I can simply cut the whole quadrant / bushing assembly out of the Broadmoor frame and bolt (or weld) it to the side of the Landlord frame. I will need to drill the proper hole in the Landlord frame. In one of the last Broadmoor models (3008, I think)the quadrant/ bushing assembly was actually a bolt on piece! This lift lever will not be as robust as the older style, but should be adequate for a plow or grader blade. Should be easy to do - I that even the frame angle should be close enough to work smoothly. And a lot easier than trying to fabricate that quadrant piece! Tom in Milwaukee

Simplicity gone awry...lol. I'll keep looking for a right hand unit but in the interim I will just fab up a quick fix for using the dozer/snow blade with the grader. Thanks all. This is the kind of information that helps every one and not just the original poster. Thanks guys!!