Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Murphy Strikes again!!

FastPaul

Well snowed about 6" of heavy wet snow ,Got 25" or so and blew the blower belt, Put on another belt ,Got about 25"again and this is what I ran into next ,Also blew the belt again :( Needless to say I had to do the driveway with the walk behind blower ,I got the chain out,Not an easy task ' The Question I have Is how much clearance should be between the rotor and the inside of the blower ? I got about 3/8" to a 1/2"

I did something similiar a year ago.I was going acroos the lawn and found the extension cord for the Christmas lights. It took the rotor right out of bearing.

If you have that much clearance, you should see a bulge in the housing. My guess is the standard clearance should not be much more then an 1/8"

OUCH!! I picked up a piece of 1 x 6 about 12" long in mine a few years back. Had one heck of a time getting it out, things were jammed up pretty tight.

At least it stopped where it did without wrapping around the auger several times. Doesn't look as bad as one a customer brought in after trying to use it as a woodchipper on his firewood pile.;)

Happened to me twice Sat. blowing sidewalks at the 6 duplexes next door. First time it was a plastic toboggan. Got that out and went back next walk picked up a 18" piece of 1"x 1" angle iron. Took over 2 hours to dig both things out. Good part nothing broke and at $30.00 an hour for my time I made out ok.

Went and checked my 42 in blower that I put new bearings in and can just get a 3/8 hitch pin to roll around with the augar. Don't think that really needs to be tighter, it's where the paddles throw it up the shoot that makes or breaks the preformance of throwing snow, and mine is WAY too loose. Need to put a piece of tin in that pathway, rubber paddle didn't help because they catch on the top of the blower if too long. I've lost several belts to rocks and sticks and firewood splitting slivers, but never too a log chain. Guess I can thank my dad for that.

Two years ago, Melanie had two of those pop up tent style snow people at the bottom of the driveway. After a few snow storms, we seems to loose one. Well I found it!!!:O:O:D:D

The thing wrapped around the auger so tight, that it stalled the engine. It took me a wile to cut it out.

quote:
Originally posted by PeppyDan
OUCH!!! Why doesn't Murphy go visit people with J.D.'s, C.C.'s or Crapsmans and just leave us alone!!! Dan
Hey Dan The people that own those other brands have enough trouble they don't need Murphy around. Paul I know the feeling just about the time you figure everything's working good old Murphy shows up. Good luck in 2008 it has to get better.:D

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
quote:
Originally posted by PeppyDan
OUCH!!! Why doesn't Murphy go visit people with J.D.'s, C.C.'s or Crapsmans and just leave us alone!!! Dan
Hey Dan The people that own those other brands have enough trouble they don't need Murphy around. Paul I know the feeling just about the time you figure everything's working good old Murphy shows up. Good luck in 2008 it has to get better.:D
yellyell:DSO TRUE:Dyellyell

This blower had been though the war and back again (3rd blower of 4 on the 7790). Everything but the cat had been though it or lodged in it at one time or another, extension cords, street water valve caps (5lbs of cast steel), bricks, stones, water hoses. etc. Where the cutting edge bolts on was reinforced, both lower edges on the ends where the skids mount reinforced, both sides of where the chute and push frame mount to the auger tunnel welded, throat to the chute in the auger tunnel reinforced, auger blades re-welded to tube, etc. Auger bearings replaced several times. Was still being used when I found a new one for $500.00. I gave this one to Kirk (thedaddycat) for parts. Rob_b can attest as to its condition as he delivered it to Kirk. If anyone doubts what the 7790 and a 42in blower can do they are more than welcome to come to my place and I will demonstrate and I will even buy lunch.

Well Maynard if the cat didn't go through maybe you got a couple of small dogs. Looks like it was well used.

Maynard I think you win having the most beat 42" blower I have ever seen !!:O I thought mine was bad so i spent most of the morning giving it a good tune up We got about 4" of wet snow yesterday and we are getting more now 4'To 6"

you sure are havin the bad luck uh?. jeez i think a blower would last all of about 10 min in my drive. you'll prombaly get the storm we just had. came down heavy. 2" a hour for about 4 hours. we wound up with about 10"-12" when it was all done.

On a similar note, Before each leaf sucking session, I have to scour the yard for dog leads. So far, I have avoided sucking one up. What do you all do about gravel driveways? Does the gravel mess up the blower?

Gravel does beat up a snowblower and rocks do wedge in tight. For that problem I'm lucky as I can let a snowpack get down in Oct and it'll last all winter. Would hate to have it melt off after every snow.

I had a quarter mile long gravel driveway through the woods in NY snow country for 10 years. The driveway was usually rutted and bumpy and it snows every week. The blowers worked great over a rutted gravel surface. They suck up gravel, which is hard on the belt and takes paint off, but only until the snow pack develops over the gravel, which happens quickly. The snow pack fills in the ruts too. Snow came with high winds and my biggest problem was the small tree branches blown onto the road, covered with snow, jamming the auger.

this is what I sucked up last year when I did the neighbor a favor....
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/plugged16.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Plugged26.jpg[/img]