Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Generic Poll on preference of tire width

ZippoVarga

Ok.....we have 6.5's at 32 inch total width 8.5's at 34 inch total width 10.5's at 38 inch total width All on 1964 model A.C/Simp's You be the judge of which you would prefer out back.

Of course.....we would all love duals if our implements alowed but my personal experience with the 8.5's and the 10.5's is simple. The 10.5's with the 46 inch spring trip blade and the 8.5's with the blower. Much more traction with the 10.5's and the 80lbs hanging off the back for counter weight than the 8.5's. The blower with the same 80lbs out back and the 8.5's handles the blowing duties just fine but doesnt handle the plowing as well as the 10.5's. What are your combinations for clearing snow, moving dirt, sand, gravel or what have you?

So far my new 8.5 Firestones haven't let me down on the landlord pushing snow. I been stuck with 8.5 turf's to 2 link ice bar chains. The 10.5 super lugs on the B-112 with 87lbs on each side can't push the snow blower up my little 3 foot rise on the driveway. The 6 inch Goodyear ags on the 725 don't really cut it either. Guess I should add, except for the walking trail all my snow removal is running on hard pack snow "White Asphalt";)

The giant ag tractor tires look best. But, for practical use the OEM width tires are more suitable. On my B-1 the tiller width covers the tracks of the narrow tires which it will not do with wider tires. The stock B-1 tires loaded with fluid and chains work fine for pulling a turning plow, tilling, and/or pushing snow. Also have noticed that skinny tires ride smoother over rough surfaces than the wide ones. With 4 ply rear tires and tri-ribs on the front the B-1 could be renamed Teddy Roosevelt because it is a "rough rider". No disrespect meant but personally do not care for duals. Just my opinion and everyone knows how opinions are.

I like the 8.5 they stay with in the fender and they look good. I can't say with any experience as I still use turf tires with chains for both blade and blower and naked for tilling.(the tires not me) Is there really a need to go larger other then looking cool??:D( They do look cool.)

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
Is there really a need to go larger other then looking cool??:D( They do look cool.)
Not that I have found!:D:D:D:D

Depends on the application. For winter snow conditions, a narrow tire with tractor tread will work best. For mowing, a wide tire with turf tread is best. For pushing dirt or gravel, a medium width tire with tractor tread would be my choice. I cannot, for the life of me, understand what all the hype is with duals. Duals typically only add flotation in soft or wet soils. I doubt they will add much for traction in any conditions because they prevent the tires from "digging in" and I know they would be detrimental in snow and ice. Not only that, they add stress to the axle by increasing the leverage on the hubs when traveling over uneven ground. I guess if looks are what you're going for, they might add some appeal, but in terms of functionality it is very questionable in my opinion.

I like the looks of the 8.50's the best for the foot draggers with the "eyebrow" fenders. For all the later tractors I like at least a 10.50 tire. Dan

Admittedly....the duals on my Sovereign are only for cool factor. However, I did do a generic test with the duals 4x 23x8.5x12's on loose wet gummy mud and leaf mixture vs. one set of 8.5's then the 10.5's and to my surprise, the 8.5's alone were the most effective at grabbing at the wet muck and keeping the tractor moving. The crown on the 8.5's kinda acts like a shovel to get through the muck and into firmer ground. The 10.5 Carlisles have a much flatter crown profile, unlike Elon's ?firestones? (not sure what they are but they look like mud monsters). If the Carlisles had more of a crown in the 10.5 configuration I can see them being more practical in muddy conditions. Snow removal is as I stated above in my original post. If there's hard pack under a new snow fall then I find that my front ags turned backwards with the 8.5's and chains are the best combination for keeping traction. Mowing...There's a whole other animal. Totally discounts my appreciation for turf style tires. At least on my property with it's dips, valleys, hills and steep grades. They just don't hold traction in the rear, no matter which profile I use. I've found the 10.5 Carlisle ags do the least damage. The turf tires spin in any of the three configurations, even in 1st gear and feathering the clutch around trees. The ags out back with the tri bars in front are my choice for mowing my property. I guess this is why there are plenty of configurations and combinations. So they suit every one's needs. I agree about the 4 ply's out back. Like riding the flintstone mobile, not to mention poor traction characteristics. I say leave the 4 ply's to the heavier machines imho.

Sean I am really interested in what kind of tires you have on the back of your L.L. with the duals. I really like the tread pattern of those ags and I am in the market for a pair very soon. Thanks Josh

I like 6-12 and 8.5's for round hooded tractors, 8.5 and 10.5 for the flat fender machines. The 9.5 was a good size but you don't see them much anymore, they used to use them on Sears. As far as duals go I've never had them but in agriculture duals reduce field compaction which is a big issue with all of the large 200+hp, 4wd tractors used today, for lawn and garden use they are best used when stability is needed mowing across a slope

My 26 inchers are Carlisles. Duel wheels were used not only for traction, but stability. They were intended to be bolted up to 8.5 turf tires. With 6x12 AGs or turfs on the out side. The AGs would give you the traction if the job required it, and the wide stance would give you the stability. These were marketed to be used with the sickle bar.

Josh, the tires on the landlord in the second picture look like Carlie Tru-Power to me. I like the ones I have on my 4040 real well in the dirt.

Marty, you are exactly correct. They are the 23x8.5x12 true power Carlisles. The wider 10.5's are Carlisle ?power track? I think is the name of them. I can check tomorrow and let you know Josh. The duals are all the same and are the 8.5 true powers. Does any one have a lead on the 23x6.5x12 Ags? I've got the one set of 6.5 inch rims with turf tires but they are badly weather checked and in need of replacement. I like the idea of a little more stability without so much tire sticking out the sides.

Your 10.5's look like Carlisle Super Lug too me, just like I have on the B-112 in the summer. Possible they have changed the name since then as those are going on 6 years old I believe. Not sure on 6.5 Ags, I stumbled into my Goodyears at a farm store on a visit to Nebr the first year I had the 725, which was 98 or 99.

Do they just put different names on these tires My 10.5 are Super Lugs They look the same as the power tracks But the 8.5 I have on the Big -10 are Power tracks but look the same as the 8.5 on my LandLord But there Called true powers ?? 8.5 on the Big 10

Super lugs on the B-112

True powers on the Diesel

Paul if you look at the power trac's they have more of a check mark look to the tread. Thanks for all of the info guys.

The angle on the super lug is a lot sharper, I'd guess close to 45 degrees, plus the lugs are farter apart. Because of the differnt angle of the pics I can't decide on the Tru-power and the Power Tracs. Kinda looks like the lugs are closer together on the Tru-power and maybe slightly flater angle, but I can't count the lugs or compare to spots on the wts or anything, so I'll have to leave that as just my opinion:O

The wider the better!! I think fat tires on the flat fender tractors look really good, makes them seem bigger I guess. I also have always thought the small rear wheels on the sunstar did it a huge injustice- Those things look so good with fat meats-