Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Guy Here, with two Simplicity Tractors

gts340

Hi guys!. I'm Eric from IL. I've been lurking around this site off and on for about a year. Nice site. I have two Simplicity tractors, one a 67 or 68 Surf that I got from the original owners widow and the other, I'm guessing is an early 80's model (I can't remember what it is right now). I plan on doing some fix-up on the larger late model tractor to use for snow removal if I can find the parts and maybe get it in better tune to cut the yard also. The Surf I think I need to try to restore. It's a neat little tractor and when I had it running it ran and cut pretty good. I hope you all are ready for a barage of questions when I get around to working on these things.

Welcome to the site, and that is why we are all here is to help each other with answers to the questions that you might need help with. There is a wealth of knowledge here and many a brain to pick. Good luck and have fun.

Eric, Welcome to the site. I hope you decide to become a Member and get access to all the benefits of the Club. You should be able to get the information you need to restore your tractors. I am sorry, but I, myself will not be able to help you much with the Serf. I am into primarily the large-frame tractors. I have also been around for quite a while. Bunch of great guys here. Much better when you start meeting them in person. I hope you stay around and enjoy the site.

Welcome Eric I will give you a warning though, These tractors are addictive. I started with 2 and now own about 12 or 13. And looking at getting a couple more. George

Thanks guys. I think it will be spring before I get around to messing with either machine. I got both for free, the Surf about 14 years ago and the bigger one just this past fall. The bigger tractor I got from a friend who was moving. I took care of mulching up the leaves and cutting the lawn for him one lat time and nursed it across town to my mothers house. It's currently stuck in the snow in the backyard. The hydro static trans surges, the front tires go low on air quick and it likes to chuck the mower deck belt so I'll be busy with that one. The Surf was in pretty good shape with the typical wear of the paint and a small dent in the hood. I've had trouble over the years with the pull string breaking off and it is smoking a bit now. While in storage something got on the hood and blistered the paint up and it's starting to rust. When I discovered this I decided that it was time to give the old girl some attention. I also inherited a lawn boy Loafer from the same lady that gave me the Surf. From what I can tell those are pretty rare. I know nothing about any small tractor (except that the use I've gotten out of the Simplicity stuff has been way beyond expectations) and I've always been a lousy small engine mechanic. This should be a fun experience and I look forward to talking with all of you about these great machines.

Yes, my user name is gts340 because I have a 68 Dart GTS 340. I am into Mopars and I use this user name for my handle on every forum I'm on as well as ebay going way back. It's so I don't forget it. I looked at the bigger tractor at my mothers house today and it's a 4211. Is this thing any good?

Hi and welcome!
quote:
Originally posted by gts340
Yes, my user name is gts340 because I have a 68 Dart GTS 340. I am into Mopars and I use this user name for my handle on every forum I'm on as well as ebay going way back. It's so I don't forget it. I looked at the bigger tractor at my mothers house today and it's a 4211. Is this thing any good?
If you can make it run it's good if not it's parts. (Or a very large boat anchor):D

Welcome to the club. With my first large frame Simplicity, a 7013S, I learned that you can't raise the deck with the blades engaged or you ruin the belt. That was about the first of a hundred things I learned the hard way. What I like about this club (besides the endless entertainment)is you have people there for you 24/7 to tell you not only what's probably broke and why it's probably broke but even how you can probably fix it! :D

Welcome aboard! Nice to see another Illinois person (even though I am a transplant). Also nice to see another Mopar fan, I used to have a '69 340 in a Diplomat. That thing treated tires like a Simplicity treats grass! Sounds like you have a couple good starter machines, especially price wise.8D Just remember any money you put in them, like say the $10 for membership here, is a good investment for what you get out of them and the valuable friends you will meet along the way!;)

quote:
If you can make it run it's good if not it's parts. (Or a very large boat anchor):D
Well, they will both run so I guess I'm off to a good start.

The first car I rode in that turned me on to musclecars, was a 68 Dart 340 automatic. Bronze color, white interior. I was about 13 years old. Still have the fever, with a 68 GTO, and a 65 Tempest.

I've got this 68 GTS 340 dart, four 1970 Dart Swingers, a 1968 Plymouth GTX and a super rare Mr. Norms Demn GSS 340 Six Pack. They are in various stages right now with some very nice drivers and others total projects. I've had the GTS the longest of them all so I just kept the moniker for the forums. I also have an interest in vintage BMX bikes and have about 12 of them also as well as a few non BMX bikes for tinkering.