Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Les: Sweepster Drive

Les
Thanks Herb, I have seen these sweepers at auctions but I was afraid to bid on them, esp. when I see the PTO shafts and knuckles. Also some of the sweepers I have seen appear to be too large for a garden tractor. How wide is the one you have?

BradW
The broom is 48", but it mounts on a 30 degree angle, so the actual width is less. This Sweepster unit design is quite simple. The shaft is a hex and the joints are just like you'd find on a truck PTO. All these parts are available from many places, including NAPA. If you find one at an auction, check the right angle gear box just as you would a bevel gear box. And, of course, broom wear.

Les, below shows the drive for the Sweepster broom you asked about under "The Perfect Storm." The lower pulley is part of the hitch. It is mounted on a separate plate, which when raised and lowered, loosens and tightens the belt (clutch). The belt guides are also part of the hitch. The upper pulley is mounted on the engine shaft. I left the key extra long to make removal easier. I drive various implements which require different size pulleys, so I am constantly changing them. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/sweepster/eng1.jpg