Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 / Big Ten. Seat Back Rest ?

FastPaul

On the Big Ten I just redid , The seat was in very good shape except the backrest and arm rest so I stole the arm and backrest of my B-10 , But now I have notice that the B-10 only has two bolt holes in the brackets and the seat back rest .The Big ten has four bolt holes in the back rest and the brackets Has anyone else noticed this The Big ten originaly came with the rear light on the seat but the guy I got it from took it of and sold it on E-Bay for $150 do all Big Tens Have the four holes on the seat and brackets or was it an option just for the rear light ??

Holy Cow! When I bought the tiller from the same seller the tractor he sold the $150 rear light/seat bracket off of was sitting in the driveway, running. He offered to sell it to me. I had no place to put it. I have actually sat on your tractor! It had P/L at that time.

quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
Holy Cow! When I bought the tiller from the same seller the tractor he sold the $150 rear light/seat bracket off of was sitting in the driveway, running. He offered to sell it to me. I had no place to put it. I have actually sat on your tractor! It had P/L at that time.
PL ??

Paul Just from memory(foggy at that!) I believe my Big Ten and "late" B-10 both have four holes and my "early" B-10 has two holes. The bracket for the rear worklight on the early B-10 just went between the seat and armrest tube. Others may differ but I imagine everthing from the Big Ten forward had the four hole configuration. Larry

The later model tractors had a higher back rest hence the 4 bolts to mount the taller seat back. I don't know when they made this change, I thought it was when the 100 series came out. However your seat braces may have been swapped out at some point. No matter what the year model I prefer the taller seat for my back. Either way both look great Paul.

Paul, I read your post today and then was looking at EBAY and ran across this item...on pic shows 4 bolts.... http://cgi.ebay.com/Allis-Chalmers-garden-tractor-b12-b-12-original-seat_W0QQitemZ170182186200QQihZ007QQcategoryZ82242QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a B-10 that has the 4 holes. I notice some other differences on mine compared to Pauls.One, is that the support bar that you mount the arm rests on goes around the back of the seat and is mounted thru the lower 2 holes of the upright supports into the back of the seat cushion. The ones on Paul's tractor are 2 separate bars. On my B-10 the back rest appears to be mounted a little higher and is mounted in the top 2 holes. When Mary Gearheart did my sit cushions ,I had questions for her about making sure the placement of the nuts was correct in the new cushion compared to old one, so everytning was the same. I sent her measurements on the placement of the holes.She had the opinion there were differences, maybe due to production line at Simplicity using left over parts or just making mid year changes. Larry

Paul is your B-10 an early or late model?? I think maybe the early B10 had only twq holes But don't take that as gospel.:D

Early B-10s (low seat back,white decal on the side of hood,9 hp Briggs,AC gear sprocket grill ornament)were produced thru about 1964. In 1965 the B-10 was dropped for the Big Ten(high seat back,10hp Briggs,Black decal on hood sides,BigTen decal on side panels,PowerA grill emblem and a square BigTen badge ).When the B-12 was introduced(1966/67) they reverted back to the B-10 desigination with those units being the same as the Big Ten except the side panel logo was changed to reflect the B-10 name and a square B-10 badge was on the grill with the PowerA badge. I'm pretty sure all this is correct with maybe the dates might be off a bit,but that gives you some history on that era of round hoods and maybe helps in dating your tractors. Larry