Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblowing comparison

ikipp

Started blowing today with my sunstar. Tractor is equiped with chains on back tires and wheel weights. I've had quite a few simplicities and the sunstar does not appear to be very good for snowblowing. Anyone of the 3000 or 7000 series got much,much better traction in snow and the blowers did not clog up as easily as does the sunstars. Is this my imagination or does anyone else feel this way. I'm about ready to sell the sunstar and go back to using my 7016. What else can I do to get more traction on the sunstar?

Well your a little far away from me for me to go rescue that poor abused tractor. I believe you need some practice as mine blows the doors off. You need to control speed and fill thos tires. I usually run ags though. I did plow turfs and no chains and just have to control acceleration to not spin. Did you dump the locking differential? Remember you have 20 horses.

Is it a traction problem on the rear wheels or problems with the blower also? It may just be that the balance of this tractor isn't the same as your older tractors and will require some getting used to as far as how much weight to place where to gain optimum traction. Could just be the type or ice/snow combination giving you problems. You'll probably need to take some time for a learning curve for this tractor. Then it may all fall in line. I wouldn't think there could be that much difference in your's verses Ambler's tractors so I'd just give it some time.

Hey Ikipp, I've got a great 4041 with cab and snow blower I'll let you have cheap....(Private joke, I bought it from him and am not about to sell it back to him, especially CHEAP}:)) As Ambler mentioned, put fluid in the tires will help a lot. There are tons of articles about that, but if you need detailed instructions let me know. I put 12 gallons in each tire on the 4041 and even with no wheel weights I have not had any traction issues. I did have problems with the chute clogging the first few feet the first time I used it, but haven't since so either I learned more how to run it or ???

I have Ags with weights, never had a traction problem. I have never heard any complaints about the Sunstar, maybe as previously mentioned type of snow/ice and possible learning curve is in order. Good luck

I'm running 26 X 12 X 12 turfs with 2 link chains and 55# weights on each wheel on my 1920. Last week I was blowing through 14" of snow with 3' drifts with no problem. As long as you keep the auger full it should do the job. Now that being said, when the snow is the consistance of soft serve icecream it won't throw it as far but it will still move it. I've been using it for 16 years now and the only time it has plugged up is when I start forward and the auger is not turning. I've shut it off or bounced on the seat or something such as that. then it will pack snow into the chute and I'll have to clear it before it will work.

Hmmm! OK. Conditions were bad and snow was like soft sticky mushy ice cream. I ran the sunstar the same way I did on the 7016. Maybe there is a different combination of power I need to apply. Could that the sunstars smaller tires not grab as well as the larger tires on the other tractors? Guess I'll get some tires with bigger lugs and try that. I'm not anxious to fluid fill the tires as it seems like a difficult job. Do you keep the tires fluid filled in summer too. Does the additional weight in the tires mess up the lawn mowing pattern. Should the differential lock lever be very hard to move? Mine is almost impossible to move the lever. as always thanks for all the good advice

quote:
Could that the sunstars smaller tires not grab as well as the larger tires on the other tractors?
I have never owned a sunstar, but don't they have the same size tires as a 7000 series?

Honestly my first 3 years were without any weights or chains with turfs and had some traction problems,since putting Ags on no problems at all, I have since added 75lbs to each wheel only because I came across a good deal.

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
quote:
Could that the sunstars smaller tires not grab as well as the larger tires on the other tractors?
I have never owned a sunstar, but don't they have the same size tires as a 7000 series?
I believe you are right (23x10.50-12) Should be easy enough to break one bead and pour in some ballast.

Yes, Fluid filled all year round. Takes about 10 min per tire and 6 bottles of windshield washer fluid each. If you spin press locking Diff. accelerate slower from a stop.