Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Yesterdays unusual haul.

ZippoVarga

Won a Swish-err by Swisher on ebay Friday so I headed to Ohio to pick it up. When I got to this guys playground aka pole barn I found another interesting item and decided to pick it up as well. All for less than the gas to get there and back. I know they're not Simplicities or Allis' but he has a Wards with gold tiller, grader, mower, blower and dozer blade. None of it is for sale in his lifetime though. I tried!!! He's also got a B-112 with dozer blade, blower and deck all for 700. He said he would even throw in the attached Golf Cart canopy....um...no thanks on that part but the rest of the tractor looked great!! Any how, here's the two odd balls I picked up yesterday.

The Eska is from the 50's as near as I can tell and it's missing the hood. But it's got the coolest hurst looking shifters and rear fender pan. I'm not sure what the plan is for the Eska but the Swisher is going to become something akin to a Cushman truck for light hauling around the property. Any how...these were yesterdays haul!

Ah HA!!!!!!! The eska is actually a 1960 Porter Cable and should look like this....

Far cry from being as clean as that one but ya cant beat the price. Later all!

I got three Swishers so of Kentland IN last fall also from E bay. One out of the three was scrap and the next two will be made into one. I have the modern two speed version.

Hey Bob, this one also has two speeds. Two shifter knobs that rotate a bicycle chain attached to a double idler that disengages one belt and engages the second belt. Maybe you can help me out here...Where can I find an engine with the top pulley aparatus for this swisher? Was it a Clinton originally? I havent started researching them yet but I've seen them pop up on Ebay here and there and always thought they would make a great little round about at the tractor shows. Since you have three I figure you may have some info on them. Since it's not a Simp or an A/C, perhaps an e-mail or PM would be best. The truck attachment idea incorporates a single "crazy wheel" at the back with the front of the truck bed attaching at two points over the rear axle. So weather I'm going forward, in reverse or turning a really tight circle the whole unit will move in unison with out having to pay attention to the trailing truck bed.

Moose....The Porter doesn't turn real sharp. Almost like turning a caddy around in a shed. The Swisher is definitely capable of staying in it's own radius though, which is why I went with my crazy wheel idea. So it wouldn't hinder the swisher's maneuverability. The porters engine is shot but the driveline and deck are in good shape. I'll be getting it running just to entertain my neighbors. They never know what kind of contraption I will be mowing with from one day to the next so it's almost become a game. Thanks for the comments all!

As far as I know the original engine was a 6HP TEC then later the moved to an 8 HP Briggs. Mine is the "Big Mow' with a Briggs. When the weather gets a bit better I get some numbers for you to work with. If I forget, remind me.

Thanks Bob! I'm just curious as to how they put a pulley on top of the flywheel. I'll remind you in the spring if I don't find out before hand. As for the old porter.....turns out the old Tec engine wasnt shot after all. I did have to remove the flywheel and clean off all the oxidation from everything and put in a donor condenser. But that little bit of work panned out. What an interesting little machine. It has a single speed axle with a locking pin which alows for free wheeling when pulled out. Then, the lever that is used for forward and reverse action is much like a hydro only it's a belt and pulley set up with a progressive pulley much like a variable drive on the Simplicity varidrives. Reverse happens with the use of a very small V belt. Any how...very interesting little rural mower for it's day.

Cool score! I like the shifter on that PC it reminds me of the old Hurst his n hers shifters. I wish you wer closer to me, I would give you two more Swishers for parts! They both have motors if you want pics of the setup.

After looking at the picture again, to will need a TEC V60 Type 70128F with the engine supplied fuel tank. On the later model that I picked up, the fuel tank is built in the hood and ss Briggs powered.. I have a A 6 HP on the other Swisher and I will part with it if you are interested. It has the add on pulley to drive front wheel on the engine and pulley to to drive mower blaeds. If interested PM me. Also I had a hand me down Swisher from the 60's with a 6HP TEC and got along with it just fine. Also all Swisher front drive mowers were 32" wide.