Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Missed out on a 7113 today

gts340

I have been looking for a tractor with a blade or blower on it to keep at my mothers house. yesterday I ran across a 7113 with a good mower deck and blower on it for $600 and it was 20 minutes away. I was stuck at work and it sold. Oh well. Today I see a guy that has a blower attachment for a 4211 for $250. It seems a bit high to me and I hear from the local Simplicity dealer that the front ends were a bit weak on the 4200 series tractors. Can anyone give me some advise on what I should be looking for. I'm not sure if I should persue the 4211 blower if the tractor isn't up to the job. What do you all think?

IMO, given choices I would certainly choose a 5xxx, 6xxx or better-yet a 7xxx series over a 4xxx tractor if you're going to be dealing with snow. The higher the series, the larger (and tougher) the machine. 4xxx are great little machines, and mow quite well, but IMO they're not big enough or heavy enough to deal with a whole lot of snow -- especially with a plow. Plowing requires weight for traction, and while snowblowers aren't as demanding on traction, they require HP and/or torque to lift and throw that snow... My two cents -- not trying to criticize any machine, only trying to help you "size" your needs...

My brother has a 4212 he put a 36" blower on it. Traction was a major issue. He ran v-bar tire chains, but no extra weight. If you'd lift the blower without being on the tractor the rear was so light it'd almost come off the ground.