Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simpowermax

New Member w/ Simplicity 9020

simpowermax
Hello all! I recently purchased a Powermax 9020 in decent condition with a mower deck and grader blade. The manufacturer's serial number is 1690072 11?????? The tractor had been repainted by PO, but all in all it is in good condition. Can someone give me some input as to why there is no oil filter provision for this engine. I have included picture where the oil filter should be. I don't see any mounting points for an oil filter. TAs time allows, I will strip it down and repair or replace parts that are needed. The machine does have small minor issues like hard starting, back firing, missing belly pan, etc. By the way, this is an AWSOME site- Keep up the great work!

ReedS
I saw that on CL, good price too! Welcome aboard. While I don't have any of the that size tractor I do have a small fleet of the FDT's with occaisional RBT thrown in. I'm sure someone here will be able to set you straight.:)

JP
It looks like the engine (Block) was replaced with a Genset block or possibly a plate (scary...) over the oil ports. The old gensets used a pressure gauge (one hole) The CCK's used on these units were four holes (two for bolting the filter block on & two oil passages. Usually, the bearing position needs to changed if the extra holes are added. If you search the site you'll find LOT's of info on these & their proclivity to starting, points & timing issues. Welcome Aboard! JP

MPH
Welcome to the club Brain. Nice score on the 9020, With the narrow tri-ribs on the front and Ags on the rear. Like to score that set-up for my 4040. have no answer to you lack of oil filter, JP may be on to something though with it being a replacement block. I don't know Onans well enough to make that call.

simpowermax
Thanks for the welcome everyone. JP- The tractor has traces of green paint on the tins and the fins on the block that were not covered by the tins. I am guessing you are on the right track with the block being replaced by a genset. My next questions is, if the block was from a genset, what effect would it have on the tractor? The tractor seems to run fine- but then, I really don't have another to compare it to.

D-17_Dave
Other than having to change the oil a little more often due to no filter you may have some heating issues due to the left side head shield missing and the oil filter hole dumping off a lot of air on the right. I'd cover that hole up and find the rest of the shielding.

simpowermax
I have all the shields for the motor, including the oil filter hole. I had taken them off to check the motor and hadn't put them back on before taking pictures. Thanks for clarifying the oil filter issue. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions as time goes. sm01