Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity paint color for the older tractors?????

SmilinSam

Hi Sam, For my 1964 Landlord I have been using Dupli-Color-#1620- Chevrolet Orange engine enamel. For the older Tractors like mine its almost a dead match. I don't use it on the hood as it doesn't have the high gloss of regular enamel but it is close enough for the frame and attachments at least for me. Chevy had 2 shades of orange paint for their engines but I found the older Chevy engine paint to match better and it is a fairly durable paint also for $3.99 at Murry's auto. The newer Chevy engine color matches the newer Simplicity tractors pretty close also but I can't remember the # for it. Hey it held up pretty good in my son's garage fire on some of my Simplicitys that had been painted with it ha ha. Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

I looked up the old discussions on this subject and did not find anything to help. I have been using Valspar CASE FLAMBEAU RED in spray cans for 3400 series and newer and that makes for a very decent match. However this is just a shade too orange for the older tractors. Has anyone found a color that is a little more red but not too red that is in an affordable spray can? I don't want to get involved with mixing and using a gun because the tractors I paint end up getting used, so it would not be worth the extra time, money, or effort. I just need to find a more satisfactory color- does not need to be a perfect match, just close. Thanks, Sam

You may want to try AC Orange from Ace Hardware. They carry it in their "Rust Stop" line (like rustoleum) and it is in the color charts so you can compare it. It is about $3.29 for a large spray can or you can get it in pint & quart cans. I would be interested in seeing what you think of the color. I have a can I am using on my plow from my Simplicity 700 and when I sprayed it over the old color it looks OK but over the darker cleaned up rust areas I think it looks a little too orange. I am going to try some grey primer as a base coat and see how it looks. (I have lots if implements left to go) Good Luck....Ken Williams

My local PPG paint dealer will computer match, if cust. provides a sample, extra large spray cans of PPG automotive acrylic enamel.Kinda pricy though $14 @ each.Never used them on a trac. as I 'spray gun' mine.Way cheaper in the long run.

I've been using F&F Allis Chalmers Orange Tractor and Equipment Enamel for my 9020's and 4041. It's real close. It's available at Mill's Fleet Farm & Blain's Farm & Fleet for those of you who live in the upper Midwest. I don't like Simplicity's off-white so I'm using just plain white. It looks cleaner. Paul

And I thought it was just me.........I bought 3 cans of Simplicity Powder Orange from the local mower shop to spray a blower that I had had sandblasted and primed. Looks way more orange than my 68 Landlord. The tractor seems to be much more reddish. Thanks for the tips Jack and Ken, I'll go that route next time. Terry

I'd like to see some more suggestions here, but until then, I Think I am going to give<< Happys'>> engine enamel a whirl and try topcoating that with a clear gloss and see what happens. If nothing else at least that tractor will be ready for when I screw up with the welder & torch and burn my shop down. Keep on with the suggestions............ Someone elses experience educates us all.

If an exact paint match is important to you, and factory paint is not available, why not take Dave's (dlcent) suggestion and go to a professional paint store and get a computer match? For a color sample, use auto rubbing compound on a part with original paint. As for cost, paint store computer matched paint is reasonable in quart or gallon cans for use with a spray gun, which should be the only way to paint if your looking for a factory finish. I doubt you will get a factory finish with a spray can. But, if a spray can is the way you want to go, and an exact color match is important, so what if a can costs $14. How often are you going to buy them?

I did some digging......seems that the Simplicity Powder Orange is for mid-80's vintage. The current model paint is called Deep Orange (1685611). The oldest that I could find was called Simplicity Orange (1685589), and is supposed to be at least pre 77'. I got this info from a Simp dealers catalog...... Terry

Sam,Take a look at Red Devil brand's "China Red".I painted my 700/725 puller with it.It looks close but may be a little too red.I did not have any paint left on my rust bucket to compare to.It may be just what you need for a working tractor or attachments.It sells for $3 to $4 for a 12 oz. spray can in our area. Jim