Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cuting edge

RickS

Hi, The cutting edge on my 46 inch snowplow needs to be replaced. My local dealer needs the part number before he can check his stock to see if he has one. Does anyone have the part number? Yes I know the cutting edge can be flipped over and I have already done that, but it still is too narrow. Even with the shoes fully retracted, the cutting edge missing the pavement. thanks Rick...........

P/N 107105 was replaced with new P/N 2107105. List price $61.06. I'd just get a piece of 1/4" flat stock from a local steel supplier and drill holes myself and use hex bolts to attach instead of the carriage bolts.

Thanks for the information. Steven, why didn't I think of that! I know I can get 1/4 inch thick steel for much less than a new cutting edge from Simpicity. Rick............

I don't plow snow down here in the sunny south, but. 1/4" mild steel may not make it through a season. Wear plates are usually hardened in some way.

I would make my own too. Carbon steel would not last as long as a piece of say 4140, but considering you should be looking at less than 10 bucks for a 4' pc you can make a few compared to new. Besides the shoes should keep it just off the pavement anyways unless you run with the shoes all the way up. Just a thought. Jim

I need to run with the shoes all the way up. Part of my driveway is on a hill and if I don't clean the drive to the pavement ice builds up and lasts all winter. Another part of my driveway is heavily shaded and also has ice build up problems. thanks again for the suggestions.

Just my opinion, but it sounds like you need a new local dealer. Why couldn't he look up the part? Any good dealer would have also known that it is likely that all the 46" dozer blades take the same edge, and even if they don't, knowing what tractor it was on would narrow it down. Tim

Not a very good dealer if he doesn't have Part-Smart or parts manuals for what he sells. Maybe he doesn't know how to use them or is just plain lazy. But it is the general attitude of the new Briggs and Stratton empire. I asked my Simplicity dealer a question about the new cab I am getting. The question was the measurement from the floor to the top of the cab. I looked for the answer and couldn't find it. My dealer looked and could not find it either. He called Simplicity and was told "He was a dealer look it up". He informed them that the answer was not in any published info that they provided him. He was transferred to the engineering department and was told the same thing "He was a dealer look it up". After a little persistence he was told they Thought it was some where between 70" and 76" again he persisted and asked which was it 70" or 76" he was finally told 76". He told me that was common practice since just after Briggs took control and if you think that was a problem finding something out about the new stuff just hold on to your seat if you need info on anything older than 2002 because they don't know what you are talking about. That is not the only problem. My blower that was supposed to be shipped a week ago Friday and was supposed to be here Thursday was not shipped but my dealer received shipping conformation. It was not shipped because they put him on credit hold (and did not tell him) because he had a floor plan inventory taken and 3 tractors were missing. They were part of his spring order and were not missing because he had not received them nor had Simplicity shipped them but Simplicity Told the Finance co. that they had shipped and they were received. It took him most of Thursday afternoon and several hours Friday to get it straightened out and get my blower shipped tomorrow/Monday. This is a business that has been a Simplicity dealer since 1967 and carries the full line in stock as well as a full parts inventory of the old as well as the new products. He is not a small dealer.

Could you use hardfacing welding rod on a mild steel cutting edge? I have used it on skid plates, I run my blade off the drive because its limestone. Stan

Maynard, I find at my dealership it depends on who I deal with. There are two young workers (good mechanics) but have no understanding of inventory. The owner, mid forties, is great with inventory and knowing what is in stock and what isn't. The young workers for the most part could not be bothered to look something up. I agree all 46 plows would have the same cutting edge, but the mechanic was not willing to spend the time to look it up. Rick.......

His employee's are not doing him any favors. If they were working for me they would be long gone. I would complain to the owner and tell him they are loosing sales for him and you went elsewhere to get your parts.

haykarenhardy,,,,yup ya can, I've done it with great results;) I did it with a Stoody rod,,,borium something that I had for a job. It would take the teeth off a new bastard file!!:D