Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

planter questions

dav

i am always looking for the attachment that i don't have...yet. i have 'planter' stuck in my mind right now. last year at the ft meade show i saw 3 or 4 planters that looked similar to the ones in the 'attachments' listings but they were for walk behinds (i think one was for a real one horse power unit) are they easily modified? did they work well? planet junior was one that i saw and passed on because it wasn't set up for a sleeve hitch. should have bought it in hopes that it is adaptable. and will if i see it again. i dont see planters mentioned much in the club. are they incredibly scarce? hope to have my unrestored but running like a champ B-1 in my very first tractor parade next weekend!

There were some planet jr planters that were available in one or two row versions for the B-1: http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/seeder.htm I have never actually heard of anyone having on or seeing one. The more common planter is the brinly vegetable planter and even those are pretty scarce, though my uncle had one once, a lot of the deere and cub collectors go for those since most of the attachments for their tractors were brinly-made.

Dav the planters are a bit rare. The average home-owner didn't have a garden big enough to justify one so less of them were sold compared to other attatchments. Also,the hoppers rusted out fairly quick due to thinner metal and fertilizer that was left in them from year to year so they went to the dump a lot sooner than other attatchments. I've only seen one in the last 5-6 years and it was pretty well junk. Larry

Hi, I have a planter, I believe it was sold as a Wheel Horse attachment, at least that color. It is in very good condition and has a bunch of plates with it. I have been thinking about maybe putting it on e-bay, if I get set up to do it. I probably have a semi load or more of "stuff" I need to sell. I will be 70 this summer and if I don't start getting rid of this "stuff" over the next couple of years and something happens to me, my wife would probably sell it for scrap, as she has no idea of what it is. Al Eden

I have 2 of the Brinly Planters with the sleeve hitch hook up one brand new has neer been used came from an old dealership. They are real handy and do a good job.The plates for different vegetables can be hard to come by.