Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PeppyDan

Help from Connecticut residents please

PeppyDan
Does anyone from the Bridgeport Connecticut area know if Park City Fluid Power is still in business? http://www.pcfp.com/index.html I have been trying to contact them for over a week through fax, phone (shows one number but when called it tells you a different number, both have been tried repeatedly), and email and have gotten nothing. According to the web site they have a few options for pumps for my loader tractor project at reasonable prices. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89628 I have started to disassemble the loader and have the cylinders tore apart, now I need to get some new O-rings and will need to get two new bucket rams. They are severely pitted about two inches from the full closed position.

I also got the hoses removed from the loader and will probably need to replace all. Thanks for your help! Dan

Roy
Do you have any local hydraulic repair shops available. Hydraulic shops usually stock cylinder rod material and can make or repair them for much less than OEM parts. Once had to have a new cylinder made for a Nissan forklift on an emergency basis. The hydraulic ship was faster and cheaper than Nissan.

PeppyDan
I will probably make the rams myself. I have a lathe and my brother works at a tool & die shop so that will not be a problem. I will need to get the proper steel for the rams. My biggest concern at the moment is getting in touch with Park City Fluid Power, there prices are very cheap if they have the pump that's needed. Dan

Tiny
I don't get down to Bridgeport enough to know anything about that place and from what I gather there aren't many in the club that are near that place or would know about it. As suggested earlier a good local place is probably as good a choice as any. My personal favorite near me is Fluid Dynamics in Manchester, Ct. although they have one in Terryville too. Manchester # is 860-833-6055. I've been there 3 times and they always had what I needed on hand at very good prices. Once I needed new Parker fittings for the front of my JD 140 that were selling used on eBay for $12-14 apiece and I got new ones for around 1/2 that price there. I've got a Johnson loader here that has a Cessna pump on it, apparently this is the pump they use to work the rudders on the planes. I think it came factory with that pump but am not sure. It fits though!! I see those come up on eBay once in awhile. Richard

D-17_Dave
The chrome coating on the rod will be exspensive to have done. You'll be cheaper as Ron said having a cylinder shop re-rod it for you. My first question though would be with the bucket fully tilted back does the cyl. rod go into the cyl. housing that far? It may stay ouside your seal area so you may only need to polish and paint the rusted section. This may not be the case, but it was a thought.

comet66
That is exactly the reason I always park with the cylinders retracted. Do you really want to buy a pump from an outfit this hard to get in touch with? If you can't get to them to buy it, they may not be around for service.

PeppyDan
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
The chrome coating on the rod will be expensive to have done. You'll be cheaper as Ron said having a cylinder shop re-rod it for you. My first question though would be with the bucket fully tilted back does the cyl. rod go into the cyl. housing that far? It may stay outside your seal area so you may only need to polish and paint the rusted section. This may not be the case, but it was a thought.
Dave, My neighbor told me he knows a place that sells the rod already chromed. If that doesn't work out, I may use some 4140 stainless steel rod. The 4140 is some pretty tough stuff and can be a pain to machine but it would not need chromed. If they wear out, they could easily be made again. The other ram (not pictured) is pitted even farther up than this one. A PO must have had it unhooked from the bucket and setting outside for several years. I will be making a quick attach system for the loader so I plan to try to use all available stroke to give me as much dump and tilt as I can get. Comet66, that's a very good point about the company, but $50 for a pump instead of $150 just sounded so good and there website says they have been in business since 1964. I think I will start checking some other companies prices, but was hoping someone would say "yea, there a great company but they shut down for a month around Christmas to give the employees time with there families". Dan

PeppyDan
I got new packing kits for my cylinders today and checked the price of chromed ram bar stock for the 3/4" front cylinders. I need about 36" (18" per ram) inches of material and for only that it was $3.50 per inch for a total before tax of $126.00:OB)OO! After thinking about the stainless I decided it would be too soft and prone to dents for my needs. Plan "C" is to go to the local junkyard and look for some combines with 3/4" power assist cylinders and re-machine to my needs. Dan

Tom_Byrne
Dan, If all else fails, give these guys a shot, they did my pistons: http://www.americanhose-hydraulics.com/home.nxg They re-did mine with new rams and all new rubbers for $250, and they were ready to bolt in. I believe he said they would ship also. I can vouch for thier work, good and fast too!