Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How many of you would buy a...

RedbarnRick

How many of you would buy a reproduction limited run tractor that looked like an a B-10 or 2010 with the original engineering but updated emission friendly motors, I just wonder if there's a market in repro's since we know how heavy duty these little tractors are, something like the 75th anniversary tractor with attachments to match?

I don't think I could afford one either.:(! Just how much would it sell for in todays market? Probably pretty scary. Now if I had just won the lottery..... it would be like ordering a cheeseburger, I'll have one with everything!:D

With all of the originals that are still going strong there wouldn't be much of a need. I don't think there would be a market for it, you would have to sell quite a few to make it feasible enough to have a factory, workers, and so on, not long ago a brand new 1968 Wheel Horse Raider was on ebay and it didn't sell, they wanted about $2500, Thats about the same price as the mid-ranged models at Sears now, I would guess a repro of the wheel horse would have cost twice that much, so if it didn't sell I don't think a repro wouldn't either. I do think repro parts would sell well, primarily if they aren't available from Simplicity anymore, parts like steering wheels, hood bolts, winter kits and other restoration items.

Would be nice but I agree it would be out of my price range. I think of that when I see price lists from 1970's.

Unfortunately, one of those would likely be well out of my price range. I agree with Chris727, there would more likely be a better parts market, especially if they were made like the originals, as you indicated. Also, for me, part of the attraction is keeping alive something old, rebuilding or restoring something to it's original state, and that satisfaction may be lost with buying a new/old machine. Your question is an intriguing one though, and I will be interested to hear what you decide to do.

with the quality of todays junk. i would be afraid of what a repro sim/allis would turn out to be. i bet it would'nt be as tuff as the originals. and if it was, it would cost as much as a big farm tractor.

i would be afraid that it would wind up like the VW Beetle. the "new" beetle kinda looks like the old one but it's not the same. the "T"bird is the same a "new" simplicity would probably have deviations from the original that would make it less than it could be. manufacturing shortcuts and changes to avoid patent problems might dictate solutions that would doom the well intentioned effort. not to mention the cost my collection of tractors was old when i got them, are old now, and will be old when they are passed on to whomever i decide can, and will, take care of them.

The design has been paid for over and over but you would have to add all the safety stuff. Just not the same. Sure would try to buy one anyway. Dan

oh yes the safty equipment. just think of the lawsuits. the late sixtys was the end of just about all the different make/models of FDT tractors. then you have all them pulleys spinning around, and ofcourse that nice pto thats sticking out front;)^

Even if everything else was the same,the quality was there and the price was within reason I don't think I could justify buying one on the basis of "updated emissions friendly motors". I read that as "looks similar but doesn't have the lugging power to pull the hat off yer head". After all,we see that a new mower takes 18-25hp to pull the 48" decks or push a snowblade that our old 7-12hp Briggs singles handle with ease. And forget pulling a breaking plow or tiller! Just my opinion for what it's worth.(less than a free cup of coffee I imagine!) Larry

Nothing wrong with wanting a new tractor but like all of the above have said too many things would get in the wayC One of the things I love is hearing my B110 working and telling me about it through the nelson can hanging out the side sweet music to my ears8D Sometimes just like when I ran one as 10 year old or younger and shut the throttle quickly just to get the BANG :D I know I should not do that but there is the few times I just can't help myself}:)

If the price is right and the tractor performs like the old ones or even has improvements which don't cheapen appearance or reduce longevity, a lot could probably be sold. As pointed out by others, this would be difficult to achieve and anyone trying to might be committing financial suicide.

If the exhaust modifications wouldn't hurt the HP, and the cost is reasonable, like $800 or less- and the quality was great, I would buy it. (I personally think that more than $800 is an unreasonable price for any size garden tractor in proportion to the cost of a car.)

quote:
Originally posted by Ketchamized
If the exhaust modifications wouldn't hurt the HP, and the cost is reasonable, like $800 or less- and the quality was great, I would buy it. (I personally think that more than $800 is an unreasonable price for any size garden tractor in proportion to the cost of a car.)
http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b-series_prices.htm You may be surprised that many of the B-series cost more than $800 when they were new in the 60's. The 67' B-110 cost $820 and the 69' B-210 cost $1016. I don't even think that included the mower deck.

Now I've got a twist to this that could be done. Take a limited number of tractors and completely recondition them with a few minor improvements from the originals. This would mean replacing all bearings and seals, replacing the rear axle tube(a common breaking item), use axles with the left hub welded on, Updating the front axle with full bearings, new steering gears and associated wear items new fiber discs, optional headlights/taillights, optional hydro lift, choice of transmission, choice of 16 hp Briggs or Kohler with electronic ignition. The complete tractor would be disassembled, stripped, reconditioned, powder coated, reassembled, and tested before sold. I am also into Trans Am's and Year One is doing this to a limited number of Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am's. Burt Reynolds was very involved in this project. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
quote:
Originally posted by Ketchamized
http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b-series_prices.htm You may be surprised that many of the B-series cost more than $800 when they were new in the 60's. The 67' B-110 cost $820 and the 69' B-210 cost $1016. I don't even think that included the mower deck.
Good point, Chris. We are all very lucky that so many people spent that money way back then so that we could have them around all these years later! Looking at those old prices, I am guessing the same tractors with inflation and today's higher material costs would be over $10,000 base! ouch! The idea of rebuilt, improved older machines sounds like a group project! Plenty of improvements being made on the members' machines!8D

quote:
Originally posted by PeppyDan
Now I've got a twist to this that could be done. Take a limited number of tractors and completely recondition them with a few minor improvements from the originals. This would mean replacing all bearings and seals, replacing the rear axle tube(a common breaking item), use axles with the left hub welded on, Updating the front axle with full bearings, new steering gears and associated wear items new fiber discs, optional headlights/taillights, optional hydro lift, choice of transmission, choice of 16 hp Briggs or Kohler with electronic ignition. The complete tractor would be disassembled, stripped, reconditioned, powder coated, reassembled, and tested before sold.
Dan pretty good discription

If that was the case This site woulden't be what it is .You could just go get a new one .I myself enjoy making the old new again . I love these old tractors It's a lot of fun. The best part is finding them .I just wonder what am I going to do with all these tractors in the future . I sure hope they end up in someones hands that love them as much as I do ,or did ,and not get sold off just to line someones pockets,It would be nice to have a museum to be able to display these tractor at. I don't know of any .dose anyone ??

Paul, It almost sounds as though PeppyDan was describing a new business endevor for you. Your already half way there with your restorations. Just add the little improvements and start selling them. You just need to put a dealer sign on you building. :D:D FastPaul's Reconditioned Tractors Tom

Here is a link to the B.R.E. Trans Am for anyone interested, notice the starting priceOOOOOO! http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/Home/tabid/54/Default.aspx I forgot to mention a few other items, first new wiring harnesses and other electronic components, all idlers and belts. Other optional items would be a throttle similar to the 700/900 series tractors (depending on the model used to rebuild) and of course optional running boards for those of us who just like running boards bettersm068D:D.

Like Paul would part with his tractors, and I don't blame him, they are his own little art museum. Paul you are an artist whether you want to be or not. Oh and you could name me in your will if you like. PM me if you need my full spelling of my name and any other info you need. LOL!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727 You may be surprised that many of the B-series cost more than $800 when they were new in the 60's. The 67' B-110 cost $820 and the 69' B-210 cost $1016. I don't even think that included the mower deck.
Let's put these 1960s price in perspective -- you could buy a new base model 1965 Mustang 6-cylinder, 3-speed for $2364. A little later, you could buy a new 1968 VW Beetle for $1688... These tractors new were 1/3 to 1/2 the price of new, "no-frills" small car...

What Kent said is true and with todays prices it would be between $4500 to $6500 to spend on a tractor (1/3 and 1/2) figuring that the base "no frills" cars are in the 12-13 thousand dollar range. I posted the question to see what kind of interest there would be and maybe send the info to Simplicity there seems to be a lot of interest in retro cars like the Mustang, Camaro, and Charger with the look of the early models, I thought there might be a market for a stout little tractor that looked retro cool and with 10 hp have available all the attachments, to give the box store disposable tractors a run for their money.

While you have a noble idea I have to agree with the others who say it is most likely not feasible economically. Look at all the 75th Anniversary Edition Sovereigns that have been available with low hours from just sitting the dealer's showroom unsold. Ref: http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-75th-Anniversary-Sovereign-Garden-Tractor_W0QQitemZ300190734526QQihZ020QQcategoryZ66761QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem