Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Newinhim

Paint question

Newinhim
All- I am restoring my Yoeman 616, and for testing/learning purposes, I have taken the rear fender/seat mount pan and sanded, primed and painted it. All was well through sanding priming and first coat of paint, it was looking good! After the second coat of paint dried, I noticed that the finish was all speckled, not at all glassy smooth like the first coat was. I am using Rustoloeum A/C orange in a spray can, and did all of the priming/painting under similar conditions. Any thoughts on where I may have gone awry, and how to correct for this in the future? Can you wet sand with fine grit paper between paint coats? Thanks

2burning
I think Rustoleum is picky about timing on the second coat of paint, like recoat within 1 hour or after 48 hours it says on the can. Otherwise it turns into a wrinkle coat! How was your time on the second coat?

tmerideth
I had the same problem on an AC410 that I did. I was using Ace Hardware AC Orange, made by Rustoleum. I was having problems with crazing when the second coat went on. I finally figured out that it took about a week between coats sometimes to prevent the crazing. Experiment with some longer times between coats, or use something to help speed the drying time. I finally purchased a heat gun from Northern and used it to help dry the first coat, yet still waited a few days between coats.

Newinhim
Sounds like a nice long wait between coats is called for, I'll try that. Any thoughts on how to adress the current finish? Can I sand this coat, then apply a third, or am I back to the drawing board starting from scratch to get a nice finish on here?

Gary
I've been using Rustoleum, Allis Chalmers Orange, with good results. 4 - 5 days drying time between coats is sufficient. Air humidity will cause wrinkling more than anything else. Humidity of 50% and lower, will get the best results. I sand between coats with 400 grit wet (use water). I let air dry, then wipe down with paint thinner just before painting.

tmerideth
Based on my previous experience with this paint, my guess is that you will probably need to sand the messed up second coat completely off. I would try a small section and see what works.

rsnik
I try to get all my painting done outdoors with no wind or bugs. Indoors you risk contaminated air. I have baseboard heat with an oil furnace. I cannot paint with Rustoleum products in the house or the second coat fails. It's contamination of various kinds in the air. Funny how the first coat always seems to go on ok. It's always the second coat. Possibly contamination settles on the surface during the drying time. I painted this hood in the pic outdoors last fall. 6 coats, easy as can be, no issues. Painted the seat pan tin indoors in the winter. Nothing but trouble after the first coat.

rsnik
I am going to try out in the garage. Fastpaul, who is obviously an expert painter, says if you get the tin real warm and get the rattle can of paint real warm before you start spraying you can get paint on despite the air being cold. I am going to give it a try. Beats trying to think fast when the wife yells "Honey! What is that awful smell!!? sm05