Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Decal Installation

Bunky

The availability of repro decals reminded me of something. I think that I heard that a light spritz of water sprayed on the painted surface before applying the decal will allow you to adjust the decal on the surface without it adhering when first applied. I know that the new decals have a self-stick backing, and are not water based. Have any of you heard about a good way to apply decals - to be honest, I am not quite sure that water under these new decals is a good idea! Thanks, Colin

I've been using water with some liquid dish detergent for years. The detergent makes the water really slippery and permits you to slide the decal all over the place. Once dry it has no ill effect. On large decals, I use a rubber auto body work squeegee, a needle, and a razor, to get the bubbles out. It's very important that the paint under the decal is clean and free of wax.

Do any of you remember the Pontiac Firebirds with the big decal of the firebird on the hood?? At one time I used to along with my partner but about 15 of those darn things on a day and when we first started installing them it was a real trick untill someone suggested doing exactly what Herb stated "soap & water" along with the rubber squeegee-rags-pins to put holes in the air bubbles "oh what a time we had. At that time Pontiac Motors cost was $150 each to which we always seemed to mess up about 3 out of 10. After looking at them for so long it was hard to tell when they were on write as it seemed they were always trying to fly around and thats when we found out after we had installed them someone was turning on a 5'dia fan to help speed the drying process. ha :) Just a thought in passing in the past tense! >>->happyjack<-<<