Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Im in a jam!!! Need help!!! 12+" snow tonight!!!!

cojo92

I put a new carb on my 627 yeoman last weekend. It doesnt want to idle. when i put the throttle all the way down to almost on stop, it idles for a few seconds and then it speeds up by itself. It will run extremlly fast until i put my finger on the carb throttle. If it is going fast when it is almost on stop, i usally put it in 2nd or 3rd and then it slows down. NOT NOW! I just went drive it and put in behind the back porch so i can get to it tommorrow morning in the snow, BUT it speeds up even when it is driveing now! PLEASE!!! I NEED HELP FROM YOU GUYS!! I'd put the old carb back on but its at my dads house an hour from my house and i cant go get it. I need a diagnosie to the problem or a quick-fix by 8 am EST. THANKS TO ALL WHO CAN HELP ME!!!!!;) VIDEO OF IT!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KZGxuR4umM Oh and it made a huge backfire with fire out of the muffler and started my coat on fire kinda. small spark on my arm. but yeah HELP PLZZZ:(

Did you take a pic before you put the new carb on, so that you can refer to it while hooking up the cables and linkages? If you have everything hooked up correctly, maybe you need to make some adjustments to the air/fuel mixture or idle speed adjustments. maybe some of the other club members could help you in that area, or direct you to the proper site for the info. Sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck

The first thing is to not get too excited. It's a mechanical device so ther has to be some sort of logical reason it's doing something different than the other carb. Now then, we can't fix it for you since we cn't see it or touch it. So, you have to be our eyes and fingers. First off, is the linkage correct? With the engine off, push the throttle lever towards full idle. Does the govnenor linkage spring release the tension on the govn. arm and force the throttle on the carb. to the idle position. Now reverse the process and go to full throttle. Does the throttle open the butterfly on the carb? If both of these are yes then you can rule out the butterfly shaft being backwards. Now you can concentrate on other problems such as leaking intake manifold gaskets or the carb. mixtures being wrong. If the throttle tests above are backwards acting then the shaft that holds the butterfly insude the carb. is installed backwards and must be reversed. Take your time, identify just what all can be wrong and step one at a time through the issues and report back your findings.

BTW, didn't I just see you with a new 110 with blower? Looks like that would be the thing to tackle 10"s of snow with..

ok im gonna go out and try that Dave right now...oh and yes i just got a b110 w/blower but the only thing missing is the pto pulley that goes on in front of the grille.

Make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly. With the throttle at idle position hold the throttle shaft against the idle stop and tighten the screw that holds the cable to the carb body. Have had some strange things happen when these are out of whack. Good Luck:D Dave

sounds like the goveror linkage is in the wrong hole, that would cause it to rev high even with the throttle lever all the way back, only other thing controlling the idle speed is the low speed needle if you turn it clockwise and it doesnt slow down something is letting air into the carb, loose or warped top plate on carb or missing gasket where it mounts are two possibles.

Check the governor linkage and make sure that is all together rite, I blew up a 10 hp that I could not get the governor linkage rite. it did the same thing that you are talking about.

ok thanks guys... but i now think that it is binding inside the throttle shaft. i can feel it...im going to upload a video if i can right now that i took last night when i went to work on it.:D LINK WILL BE HERE SOON!! THANKS FOR THE HELP!