Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Architectdave

My 3314H progress

Architectdave
Hi guys, I had some time this weekend to work on my old 3314H. I spent the afternoon removing all the jerry rigged junk my gramps put on the tractor. I was wondering if you guys might have a bit of guidance for me on two issues. The first is the 14hp Briggs engine throttle. I was able to get a model number off the engine and downloaded a parts manual from B&S. I am missing the engine governor parts on my tractor. I have the carb. have the throttle and cable. I have the lever attached to the unit under the crank but I am missing the rest of the throttle governor linkage. Does anyone have a manual that that shows this linkage so I can either buy and install the parts or fab the parts myself. I would be willing to pay for pictures if anyone would take a bunch for me of a working factory setup. Second issue is I have very week spark. I can get a spark by holding the contact to the block but no spark jump across the plug. Its too weak. I did drive this tractor to its place in the shed two years ago and it started fine. Anyone have guidance on where to start with spark? I am engine fluent but not small engine fluent. The spark seems to have deteriorated over the past two years of sitting which is new to me. Thanks to all for reading this and any help you guys can give. Dave

RayS
In the 14 hp manual that I have the parts are in it. I believe that you either need the ones with the number 201 or 208 on the first page. As far as spark issues I would check the points gap and make sure they are clean. But you say that you have a weak spark. If it were mine I would remove the shroud that covers the flywheel and see if the magnets are cover with rust and the legs on the magneto and wire brush it off. and reset the air gap. The air gap is .010. I have heard a few people say that this doesn`t work but I have done it on several Briggs engines and a stihl chain saw and it did solve the problem.

Architectdave
Thanks ray sounds like a good start. I have the parts manual but no picture of what the assmebled parts should look like...thats what i really need. Can you or anyone else point me to a service manual for this engine?

Architectdave
So I had a chance to tinker with the 3314 this weekend. I continued to remove all the junk gramps has bolted on the thing and removed the carb for a rebuild.

Does anyone have an exploded view of this carb? It seems gramps added some sort of tube off the main jet that looks like it doesnt belong there. I cant tell. Is the rebuild kit straight from brigs the correct one for this carb? Also I still have little to no spark. Ive seen a few pics of automobile coils on these engines. Is that as simple as setting up the circuit and bypassing the magnito?