Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ehertzfeld

dump cylinder question

ehertzfeld
Ok it just hit me a few minutes ago. I think most of you have seen my 3012 project I got going on. Well I was going to use a single acting cylinder to dump the bucket. It is power dump and spring return. Well as I thought about it, with a full load of dirt or what ever, what is going to keep the bucket from dumping, the springs right? If I'm thinking right, this isn't going to work, right?

D-17_Dave
All depends where the pivot point and the load is in the bucket. But your right, in could dump on it's on. BTW, it'll be hard to back drag and such.

ehertzfeld
Well this is the set up.

I'm not sure I like the idea of turning the cylinder around. Mite look goofy. I did find a suitable double acting cylinder on eBay. Thanks guys.

PeppyDan
Would the fluid be able to be pushed back through the valve with the setup you have or would it just push against a closed valve? Dan

ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by PeppyDan
Would the fluid be able to be pushed back through the valve with the setup you have or would it just push against a closed valve? Dan
I belive it would just push agaist the closed valve.

PGL
It looks good, but to avoid dumping a load unexpectedly I would use the double acting cylinder if not too expensive. Do you have the valves to operate already?

ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by PGL
It looks good, but to avoid dumping a load unexpectedly I would use the double acting cylinder if not too expensive. Do you have the valves to operate already?

plastikosmd
a great action is to be able to control the curl of the bucket, a powered curl is very, very helpful..so i agree a double acting cylinder is what you need. edit: what i mean is..it is hard to get a full bucket of dirt with any machine..esp the smaller ones...so as you hit the pile a combination of lift and curl gets you a nice full bucket

ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Why not use the cyl. that you removed from the rear lift? It's double acting and you have it already.
Thought about that, but it's not big enough.:O:(