Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need some info on a AC 917H

sispro

I am buying this AC 917H and was wondering if anyone had any info on it and maybe if anyone knows how this tractor works as being a good tractor or not. thank you

I think you will like the tractor. Does it still have the 17 hp Kohler twin motor in it ? If so keep plenty of oil in it. It will need a fuel shutoff valve in the fuel line. The purpose of this is to keep the fuel out of the oil when the tractor is not being used. Does it have the hydraulic lift?

This tractor is a continuation of a tried and true design. Besides having numerous attachments available for it you should be pleased at the performance of the more powerful twin cyl. engine. Taken care of this tractor will out last anything else you'll probably ever own. Good luck with it and please come back with any questions you might have.

I have two of these tractors with both of them having the early series 17 horse engines. They have both served me well in the 5 years I have had them. The secret is CHECK THE OIL multiple times in the day you use it. I use mobile one synthetic in mine. Good luck. Richard

I've got a 917H, with the series II, Kohler in it. Absolutely great tractor! Mine has the hydraulic lift. The twin Kohler is about as smooth running as you could ask for. Gary

I have a Simplicity 7117H with series 1 Kohler same tractor as the Allis Chalmers 917H that I have had for two years and use with 48" deck and lawn vac it is a good tractor. I also have a Simplicity 7790 also the same tractor as the Allis Chalmers 917H but with a Lombardini 18½ hp diesel That I bought new in 1985 and has been used and abused and has over 5000 hours on it. It is in the shop this week. It broke two teeth off from one of the bevel gears in the bevel gear box. The gears didn't show any wear and minimal wear on the bearings just the two broken teeth. It sounded like a bad rear main bearing in the engine. Got lucky again. Not bad for 23 years and as hard as it has been used.

well this one has the hydro lift on it but no motor i was going to put my 12 hp Kohler on it which i had rebuilt and it is cast iron