Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
triplejohn123

Looking for advice on a Simplicity 3314H

triplejohn123
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum, and I am finally going to get the simplicity I have been wanting for years. I had a broadmoor twenty years ago and I loved it and sold it, but I am back! The guy is selling a Simplicity 3314H with a newly rebuilt engine, new carb and muffler, rebuilt 48" mower deck(new spindles, bearings and belt), 42" snow blade, and a dump cart with lawn vacuum. The tractor is in nice shape and runs well. The problem is the transmission geabox is leaking the 90w oil pretty badly. How hard is it to repair the leak. It looks like it is leaking between the two cases. The guys is asking $425.00 for it but is willing to negotiate. I am thinking of $350.00. What do you guys think? Is it worth getting for that kind of money and second how hard is it to split the transmission gearbox to fix the leak in the gearcase. Thanks John

triplejohn123
OMG...That's a bit scary...I guess I gave out too much info...LOL....Yup that is the one! I sent the guy a deposit to hold it until tomorrow. When I called hime he said it runs fine everything works they way it shoud, but the 90w is leaking out of the bottom oh the trans case...where the two halves are joined together. I am very mechanically inclined, but is this a real big job, and is this whole package worth the money he is asking?

goatfarmer
Nice looking tractor! Is it the transmission leaking, or the bevel gear box? The BGB is in front of the transmission, and has the driveshaft from the engine attached.

triplejohn123
What the seller said was it is leaking 90w gear lube from a gasket in the bottom of the transmission housing. I assume it it is the gasket the seals the two halves (left and right sides) of the transmission housing. Is it difficult to remove and repair the trans cases? Are these good dependable tractors? Are parts readily available? Such as gaskets, seals...ect. Since I have no need for the vacuum attachment I will offer it to someone here first...Wish me luck.

MikeES
John, it is not a difficult to split the tranaxle case, but could be time consuming to get it all apart. But it may not be the gasket in the case. Many of these transaxles are filled TOO full. And the gear lube leaks out the axle seals, and runs down to the bottom of the tansaxle case. You may be lucky.

triplejohn123
Just got back from the seller...WooHoo...Just bought it for $350.00..Just in time too....someone tried to back door me on the purchase. The tractor is actually in pretty good shape for 37 years old, luckily this guy was the original owner and did not butcther anything. It is all complete and looks to be completely operational! I did confirm the leak is coming from the trans case so I will need to split the cases and repair. Since I have absolutley no use for the vacuum attachment....If anyone is interested in the vacuum attachment let me know. It is all there, but the hoses could use replacement...they have some duct tape on them, and the canvas has a couple tears that have been repaired. I can send you pictures if interested. BTW thank you everyone for your advice...I have four months to git er done!

rsnik
Congratulations, that is a great deal. My 7013S leaks 90wt lube from the same spot on the bottom of the transmission. I always check and top off if needed before mowing. I find it leaks on and off. I am hoping for a miracle discovery that fixes it without splitting the case. :D

stevenj
Axle seals will leak and the fluid will drip from the lowest point on the trasmission, which is right where the left and right side cases meet. You might just need to replace the axle seals. Also, you might want to make sure that the trans is really supposed to be filled with 90 wt. oil. If it is a hydro, don't they use the trans case as the reservoir and wouldn't it have Simplicity multi-purpose oil in it?

triplejohn123
Thanks for everyones input, I will take a closer look at it on Sunday...Too cold to take it off the traler now....10 degrees and falling! Hopefully I will get it running on Sunday and take her for a spin...Just imagine test driving it down the road in 10 degree weather....