Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ZippoVarga

Third tractor find for 2008

ZippoVarga
I know it's not orange or yellow but it's going to give me much needed truck bed space when I go to shows looking for deals. It's a Choremaster one wheel tractor by Lodge and Shipley. Cute little bugger ain't it? Had to free up the bearings that the worm gear rides on and service the engine, but after about 2 hours of tinkering it fired right up and took off on me. Silly me didnt know which position the clutch had to be in for neutral. Fortunately it just lumbered forward a couple feet then sputtered out from the choke being on full.

ZippoVarga
The sulky is forthcoming, along with a 24 inch sickle mower and counter weight. It's really a lot more powerful than I thought it would be. It has a centrifugal clutch with two pulley grooves on it to add powered implements like a brush type cutter and sickle bar or tiller, along with trailing implements such as cultivators, furrow, disc. Wasn't made for very, long but I've seen them at shows and thought they were cool little machines. The sulky I hope to get is the original to this particular tractor so I won't alter it. I am however, making a bench seat sulky so I can take a friend along or have a place for small finds. It takes up very little room in my truck bed which is the primary reason I got it. More room for show finds ya know. The two quart tank leaks a little so I'll have to solder a hole or two closed. Then I'll clean up the aluminum castings, revitalize the galvanized handles with a mild acid metal cleaner, clean and paint the engine and gas tank support and then it should be show ready. Just a neat old piece of gardening history in that little bugger. Found the decals for the Clinton engine which go on either end of the tank and the other identification plates and castings are in good shape. The PO installed a trick fogger set up that utilizes the exhaust pipe and muffler. There's a bung welded to the pipe that accepts a 1/4 npt flange fitting that a washer fluid hose mounts to and goes to the 1.5 qt yellow tank mounted to the cross member of the handle bars. Just turn the valve open with your favorite fogger chemical and walk/ride the tractor past your crops.

B-16_IC
Nice! You'll have fun with that little toy. I bought one with a B&S this summer. When I read the first part I thought of suggesting where you could get some accesories, but I think you already found them!:D

Karl_Brandt
I have had 8 or more of these Choremaster tractors before. I have two restored to take to tractors...one has a sulky and reel mower attachment.sm00 The choremaster is great in the garden were the roto tiller can not fit. Most of these choremaster I have seen have Briggs & Stratton engines.Only seen a few with Clinton engines on them. Most antique tractors shows I go to in Ontario,Canada you always see one of the tractors. Karl

ZippoVarga
I perused your sight Karl and a couple of the links are NLA. I can assume mine has it's original engine and it's either a 1949 or a 1951 according to your dating chart. I'm looking forward to cleaning this one up and making it purdy for the tractor shows and to tool around the yard on.