Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D for B 10 Rebuilt- wiring &test?

PGL

I've just about finished putting this engine back together. Rebuilt the carb using kit plus new throttle bushings, .020 oversize piston, new inlet valve, new seals, checked all clearances and sizes, everything within specs. New points, condenser, plunger and bushing. The starter-generator has been rebuilt. Now I want to add the carb. and test run before putting it back in the tractor. How do you test run your engines? Bolt down to a bench or plank, hook up a battery direct, squirt in a bit of gas or get a small gas tank with hose? Where to attach the wires per pictures below? Where do those wires go on the B-10? It looks like one has to go from the ignition switch to the points and the one from the "firewall" on the engine to the points. The points terminal block seems broken and I'm not sure where it attaches to the engine.
[img]/club2/attach/PGL/23D0001.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/PGL/23D0002.jpg[/img]

On all of the ones that I have there are two wires that come off of the insulator terminal on the "firewall". One goes to the points or (electronic ignition module in my case) the other goes to ignition switch.

Hook that loose wire to the other wire from the points at the fibered square piece.This will allow the points to operate.Put the carb back on and hook a gas line from it to a spare gas tank.Put the starter back on, unless you want to pull start it with a rope.Bolt it or clamp it to your workbench.Fire it up,to kill ground spark plug to a head bolt.I use a jumppack to the starter to turn it over. The wire from your tractor firewall that comes from the key switch will hook to the same fibered square piece.

Thanks Ken and Ray. My fibered square piece has one connection, so I assume all three wires tie together there. The piece is broken off, looks like it had another bolt hole at the break. Would it have been attached to the points box?

Thanks again Ken. You must be younger than me, I still remember (and have a few) galvanized steel buckets. I'll use a plastic one though.