Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

To Clean or Not to Clean....

SmilinSam

I've been to the B&S site, etc...yet the question still nags: Detergent or Non-detergent SAE 30 for a 60's cast iron 10hp Briggs? Another question: lithium based, or moly based grease for pulley needle bearings, etc? Ok, indulge one more: anyone ever use Marvel Mystery Oil in any tractor capacity? I swore it kept my 65' Barracuda running those few extra thousand miles. Thanks.............Terry

If the motor was run all along with non det oil,and now you put det in,it possibly will now use oil[if it dosen't already?] as the det package in the oil will break up any sludge formed from the non det.I agree also that any good lith. based grease is acceptable.The gas of today with all the non polluting additives,alcohol,etc. gives NO upper cyl lube. I agree marv oil is a good thing to ad to the fuel.

Thanks Jack and Dave. I'm unsure of what type of oil was formerly used (det or non-det), but it doesn't burn oil at this point. I guess I'll just use a good grade of detergent 30 and hope for the best. The Kendall grease also sounds like the way to go, moisture is the enemy as well as friction. As to the Mystery Oil............it's never seemed to harm anything I used it in. I would just need to adjust the dose to the volume of gas in the tank. Thanks for your input.......much appreciated.................Terry

Terry, I use the detergent oil in all my engines. For grease I have been using Kendall Super Blu high temp EP-L-427. Its Lithium Complex NLGI #2 Grease Its recommended for -Wheel bearings-Ball & roller bearings-electric motor bearings-universal joints and many other uses where water or heat might be a problem. Its good for Minus-40f to at least 350f I pull trailers of all sizes and this grease is the only one that I have found that repells water-rust and heat to the point of me not having to worry about bearings anymore. I used to use just a lithium based grease "but" moisture was still a problem along with bearings getting hot from the other grease breaking down. It was a hard sell but in the end another mechanic convinced me to give it a try and I have been using it ever since. Marvel Mystery Oil is just still that for me. I know of people that use it for when an engine is going into storage but I personally havn't used it. Thanks, >>->happyjack<-<<