Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Front Hitch Alternative

SmilinSam
I know you have tried backing up a garden cart with your tractor. Touchy, aren't they? Well, the other day I was backing up a load of firewood and ran over one of my wife's flower pots. When she accused me of doing it on purpose because I have towed many full size trailers over the road without incident, I knew I needed a front hitch. Here's what I did.........[A href='http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/fronthitch/fronthitch.htm']http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/fronthitch/fronthitch.htm[/a]

JordB110
Great idea. We have front hitches on several of our farm tractors. They are so much easier to use. You can watch the trailer while not having to crane your neck to see the trailer. These front hitches make it much easier to back hay or grain wagons into the machine shed. JordB-110

Mike
Great idea, I have been using mine for some time now. I also use it to add barbell weights to and this helps off set the weight of my rear attachment as well sense my tractors have the manuals lifts. Just weld a peice of 3/4" round stock to an area that doesn't interfer with the hitch ball. I moved my ball farther back about 2-1/4" so that I can use the bolt hole for pushing or pulling my 1 trailer that does not require a ball but uses a pin to hold it in place. If you use an aerator its great for getting into those really tite places that trying to back the aerator into is almost impossible. For a rear hitch that works almost the same way try using a plow hitch from a older broadmoor. It will almost fit the rear holes for the tiller with some fabrication and works the same way as long as you have the parts for the rear lift hooked up. You can find these hitchs almost any dealer fairly reasonable but I happened to have one. Thanks Herb, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. Great pictures showing everything someone needs to know also.